Chapter Three

Saturday, June 16, 2018

No matter how many times I told myself that it was stupid to hope that Daniel would show up at the diner again this morning, I still wasted the entirety of yesterday considering the possibility of it.

I thought about what I would say to him if I happened to see him again throughout the morning after he left the diner, in the afternoon when I started my shift at the bookstore, and even later on in the evening when I was sitting on the counter in my kitchen, staring at the rainy street below my apartment in the Levels Complex, chiding myself for spending so much of the day thinking about a stranger.

Every single time the door opened in the diner this morning, I glanced up, letting that stupid, tiny sliver of hope free for just a moment.

But he didn't show up.

Shelving the books that are shipped and delivered to the Roselane Bookstore once a month is a monotonous job that I never look forward to, but it must be done nevertheless.

I slide two copies of the same novel onto a shelf in the back of the store, trying to convince myself that not getting worked up about the Daniel-no-show situation is the logical way to deal with it.

What was I expecting to happen? It's not like we were going to be able to have a friendship anyway. He's going back to L.A. in one week, out of my reach, in such a short amount of time. That's simple enough. I should be able to accept it... but I don't want to.

I've never... clicked with someone like that. Never that quickly, at least. Daniel's practically still a stranger to me and yet, I felt comfortable around him.

My mom ruined the image of what a relationship is supposed to look like, so I've never had a good example outside of Blaire and her family. That in itself only proves that what I have with Daniel, though minuscule and barely existent, is too special to let go.

I hear the bell ring, signaling someone has entered the building, just as I set another book on the case.

"I'll be with you in just a moment!" I say, projecting my voice so that the visitor can hear me.

I push a strand of hair behind my ear as I walk down the aisle, faintly acknowledging that Blaire would've laughed if she heard what I just said; she's convinced (with reliable evidence) that I talk like an old lady. I always retort saying my writing style finds it's way into my voice, but that only makes her laugh more.

Just as I'm about to round the corner to the front, I hear a voice that I recognize speak up.

"You know what, I think it's safe to say that I am following you."

I stop in my tracks, a foot of bookshelf the only thing hiding me from sight. One more step, and Daniel will be able to see me.

I try to stop grinning like an idiot, but I don't think I succeed as I step out from the aisle and see him standing a few feet away, smiling.

"Hello, Daniel," I greet, attempting a casual tone.

"Hello, Kai," he says.

I just stare at him for a moment, taking in the tan long sleeved shirt, black jeans, and white shoes. His hair is obviously damp from the drizzle of rain outside, but it still manages to look perfect. His blue eyes are bright despite the gray skies outside.