Chapter Twenty-Seven

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

The last week and a half has passed so quickly.

The morning after I officially finished JTB's program, the boys presented to me the song they were working on and then showed me the parts they wanted me to sing on my own and then those where I would harmonize with them. That afternoon, we recorded it all.

The days following that, the boys and I worked on fine tuning the song to the point where we were extremely happy with it. Then came the copyright processes and preparing to get it up on iTunes, Spotify, and other music sites. Needless to say, a lot of hard work has been put into this piece.

I'm standing in the living room with my arms crossed in front of my chest, staring at the camera the boys have set up in front of the couch where they will record in a mere matter of minutes.

They're planning to upload this video to their account on YouTube and then post awareness all over their social media encouraging fans to go watch it and spread the message on to others.

"Hey," Daniel says from behind me, placing a hand on the small of my back, "are you alright?"

He moves around me so he's standing by my side.

"Yes," I say, but he catches my slight hesitation and sends me the look that conveys he nows I'm lying.

We've known each other for two months now, so it's become normal for us to notice if the other's acting differently than usual.

I let out a sigh.

"I'm just... nervous about how your fans will take it. How they'll... feel about me."

"They'll love you, Kai," Daniel says sweetly.

I hold back a scoff.

"How do you know? Where's your proof, Danny Boy?" I joke.

"Maybe I don't need proof, shorty. Maybe I just know," he says, stepping away from me and wiggling his fingers.

I let out a light laugh as he calls the boys into the living room.

I wait behind the camera as they settle in on the couch. I check to make sure they're all in the frame before asking if they're ready to go. After five enthusiastic answers hit me, I press record.

"Hello, beautiful people of the world," Corbyn begins with a smile.

"As you probably know, we're Why Don't We, and we have some very exciting and important pieces of news to share with you," Jonah says.

"First up is something else you're most likely already aware of which is our next tour. The first show will be on October first - tickets are available on our website - in New York. What you guys don't know yet is that we will be performing the new single that we're dropping tomorrow at midnight at every show. Surprise!" Jack finishes with a genuine smile.

I can just imagine every fan flipping out when they hear him say that, ecstatic for the new music to come out.

"Along with the new single is an artist that has not yet been introduced to the music industry," Zach says, using his hands to talk as he looks into the camera. "Our guest artist's name is Kai Merta. Now, before you go searching for videos of her singing, just know that you won't find any; she's very shy and hasn't ever put anything up online. She's very talented, though, and that's why she's joining us in the song."

Zach finishes up and looks at Daniel, cueing his turn.

"Now we move onto what the rest of the video will be about. We are very well aware of how the girls the boys and I have been affiliated with in any way in the past have been treated. We know what comments show up on their posts and pictures. The hate spread around isn't ignored. We're not saying that every single person puts hate out either! We know that most are so very kind to those girls of our past, but there are always a few people. And sometimes, those few people are enough to damage one beyond repair. We are asking you as a group that this does not happen to Kai. Accept her as you accept us. Love her as you love us. Support her as you support us. If you are unwillingly to that, then that's an entirely different problem."

Daniel finishes his miniature speech passionately and I can tell that he spent a long time mulling over it. His eyes flick up to mine for a split second before returning to the camera.

A few minutes later, after the boys have thanked the fans for everything that they do and reminded them of the single coming out tomorrow at midnight, I stop the recording.

The boys don't erupt into their own conversations, so I take advantage of the fact that they're all together to speak to them.

"Thank you, guys. You didn't have to say that last part at all," I say, the ending coming out as more of a mumble than anything else.

"Oh, that was Daniel's idea, but... we all feel the exact same way, Kai. We want you to be protected at all times," Jack says.

I smile gently at him and the faces of the nodding boys around him.

"Thank you so much," I repeat, and this time it really does come out as a whisper.

I back up a bit from the camera.

"I think I'm going to head to bed," I say.

"Really?" Corbyn inquires, checking the time on the lock screen of his phone. "It's only nine-thirty."

"I know. I kind of just... want to shut everything out. Does that... make any sense?"

"Yes, it does," Jonah assures me, standing up from the couch.

I nod once and back up one more step.

"Goodnight," I say.

I catch Daniel's eye one more time before I turn around and walk to my room.