Chapter Thirty-One

Friday, September 28, 2018

I sit up in the midst of a rumpled bed, a small smile immediately making it's way onto my face.

I will never forget what it was like to kiss Daniel for the first time. I will never forget how I felt, how much love I had for him and have for him still. I will never forget how long it took us to move inside and how reluctant we were to let go of each other for the night.

Making up my mind to text him good morning, I turn to the small table next to the mattress to reach for my phone. Instead of seeing the device, I see a piece of paper propped up in front of it.

Shorty is written on the front. A light laugh escapes my mouth. Only Daniel.

I pick up the paper gingerly and unfold it on the bed. My eyes flick over the long letter filled with penciled words and my insides weaken.

I begin to read.

Kai,

How do you tell someone that you love them?

I'll have to start from the beginning.

God has a crazy way of working things out, doesn't he? How did my little sister happen to drag me onto the street that the Roselane Bookstore is on during your shift? How did I become so disinterested in the clothing shop I was supposed to stay in until Anna came to get me so quickly?

I don't know, but I will never get over how thankful I am that everything worked out the way it did.

I cannot describe how I felt when I walked into the store and saw you standing behind that desk. You were beautiful, a picture of perfection, no matter how many flaws you see in yourself.

Your hair was up, you were wearing a sweatshirt and joggers, and the smile you sent me was the sweetest, most adorably shy thing I've ever seen. I'm not one to believe in becoming transfixed in someone when you first see them, but goodness Kai, did I fall hard for you.

My sister returned to the front, and I had to leave all too soon. Then, the next morning came.

I swear, when I looked up from that menu to see you in standing in front of me in the diner wearing a waitress' apron, I was filled with so much joy. I've never been so happy to see anyone I just met - someone who was practically a stranger - in my entire life. On to the next day.

I walked into the bookstore and was surprised that you weren't at the desk. Then, I heard your voice in the back of the store. Goodness, I wish I could've prepared myself for when you walked out from behind those bookshelves. I'm sorry if I'm being too straightforward, but how do you like good all of the time?

I was so nervous to tell you about the story I made up, From Portland to L.A., because it was literally my life in words. Despite my worries, you took it up in stride. That was the day I learned you were a writer. Everything has taken off from that point, hasn't it?

The next day was the night that you, Blaire, Anna, and I sat on the rooftop of the Levels Complex. We exchanged stupid yet hilarious stories, Blaire kept spitting out the water she was trying to drink because she was laughing so hard, and everyone admired the rare Portland sky displaying the sunset. No matter how interesting the stories were, I had trouble paying attention because... I couldn't stop looking at you.