Chapter Twenty

Friday, July 27, 2018

I park the car in front of the Why Don't We house and sit back against my seat, waiting for Blaire's rambling to subside about how Daniel's care for me is not insignificant.

I called her as soon as I got out of class at four. I've called her two times before today already, but when she picked up, she acted as if we haven't spoken at all since I left.

She's eager to hear every single detail of the plane ride, the famous L.A. sunshine, getting settled in the boys' house, watching the beautiful sky, my first day at JTB- in person and online- and how every day around the boys is simply enjoyable.

After a forty minute conversation, I feel I should head inside to see what the boys are up to.

"I want to know everything that goes on between you and that 'good looking' guy," Blaire says.

I sigh and roll my eyes at her behavior. She's never going to let that go.

"Okay, B," I say, pretending to sound annoyed, "I'll call you tomorrow."

"Alright. Love you!"

"Love you too. Bye."

I end the call and immediately exit the boys' car, shouldering the bag that holds my laptop and all the papers from my classes.

I enter the house and find it to be strangely quiet. I drop my backpack off in my room and catch sight of the boys in the backyard.

When I walk outside, I see that Zach and Corbyn are jumping into the pool, Jonah is sitting in a chair near the edge, laughing at them, and Daniel and Jack are on their skateboards.

"Shorty!" Daniel yells when he spots me, moving my way. "How was class?"

"Good, but long. Three hour lecture today and two online classes tomorrow."

"Wow," he says, shaking his head. "Are you tired?"

"Exhausted," I say with a laugh. "And it's only been three days."

In my peripheral vision, I catch Daniel looking at me, concerned, like he always is. I turn to him and send him a reassuring smile, signaling that I'll be fine.

***

I feel nothing but the ground against my back, hear nothing expect gentle splashes and laughter coming from the boys swimming in the pool, smell nothing but the warm summer scent that rides on the wind, see nothing except for the gorgeous darkening sky of Los Angeles.

I have never felt so content in my entire life.

The anxiousness I felt before walking onto JTB's campus quickly went to rest as my first day arrived and flew by in a blur of lessons. I realized that I still have so much to learn.

I think about that until everything fades away.

***

In the haziness between being awake and asleep, I register a voice nearby.

"She's out."

"I'll get her."

Just as someone's hand slips around the back of my neck, I start to sit up.

The hand falls away and I open my eyes to see Daniel squatting next to me, smiling gently.

"Hey," he says quietly, eyes dancing despite however late at night it is.

"Hey," I repeat, taking a deep, tired breath.

"How about we get you inside," he says. I nod.

He stands and offers me his hand, easily pulling me up next to him. He holds onto my hand for a moment longer than necessary when I'm fully standing, but I don't mind because I don't want him to let go.

I move inside the house, Daniel right behind me. He walks me to my room, stopping only when I do in the middle of the room. The space is dark and the main level of the house is silent.

I become very aware of our close proximity, soft breathing, and the pounding of my heart inside my chest. We're staring at each other, even though it's dark. We don't need light to see.

Ever since I met Daniel, I've been drawn to his appearance. As time has passed, his personality and love for God has made him even more attractive in my eyes.

As darkness envelops me and a tight rope of tension is strung out between us, I realize that all I want to do is be with him. I want to be with him and I want him to be with me and I don't ever want to let him go.

But I'm afraid of my own feelings.

When he turns to leave the room, I let him.