Chapter Fifteen

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Four days. JTB's orientation is in four days, and I'm not going to make it.

I keep chiding myself for feeling so let down because I shouldn't have been hoping that it would work out in the first place. How could I let myself expect—

The soft ringing of a bell pulls me from my thoughts.

"Welcome to the Roselane Bookstore. Is there—"

When I raise my eyes to greet who has entered, I scream.

Daniel's face pulls into a wide smile.

I'm around the desk and engulfed in a hug before I can really process what is happening.

"What the heck?!" I scream, elated. I pull away from him to look at his face. "Daniel! What are you doing here?"

"You missed me that much, huh?" he says, looking down at me and laughing. I hit him lightly on the chest with my fist, but I'm grinning like an idiot.

Within a split second, Daniel's entire facade changes.

"Are you okay?" he says.

"Am I okay? Yes, I'm okay, are you crazy? Goodness, you have no idea how—"

"No, Kai. I mean...."

"Oh," I say quietly, understanding. "Because of the other night?"

He nods slowly, his forehead creasing gently with concern as he watches my eyes carefully. I smile sadly and rest a hand on his arm.

"Yes, Daniel, I'm fine... Wait... you did not travel all the way here just to make sure that I'm okay. Did you?"

He looks down at the ground.

"Uh, well—"

The bell rings again. I turn my head.

My eyes widen and my mouth drops open as Jack, Corbyn, Jonah, and Zach walk into the store.

"There she is!" Zach yells. Jonah is laughing at the expression on my face and Jack is glancing between Daniel and I with am expression that looks very much like a smirk.

Corbyn must be a hugger because before I can react in any way, he has pulled me into his arms.

"Hey, Kai," he says, laughing as I continue to smile and not speak.

Since the night when Daniel introduced me to his best friends over FaceTime, they have frequently popped up and joined in on our conversations. I know them well enough now to be friendly. I'm still working on being comfortable with those I don't know very well but somehow, they just make it easier.

"I'm so surprised, I don't even know what to say," I finally get out as I move away from Corbyn to hug Jonah. The giant of a boy wraps his arms around me.

"She speaks!" he says triumphantly.

I scoff playfully as Zach pushes him out of the way and holds his arms out towards me.

"What in the world are you guys doing here?" I say, grinning at the group of boys once I've reached Jack.

"Kai," Daniel says, walking closer towards me, "we want you to follow your dreams. We want you to reach the full potential of your talent. We've talked to our managers and have decided as a group that the world needs to know you and your creativity."

Several seconds pass, and I just look at them, noticing the apparent excitement in their eyes. 

"What're you saying?" I say slowly.

"Well, we want you to come live with us in L.A. so that you can attend JTB and pursue your career in writing. We're here to help you move, if that's what you want. I know for a fact that you will feel hesitant, but we want you to come with us. You have too much talent to just stay hidden away, Kai."

Shock courses through my veins and my words fail me so I shake my head.

"No," I say when I find my voice, "no, I can't take advantage of you like that. No, that's your house and your life. That's your dream, and you worked to get there. Guys... this is where I belong."

I feel Daniel's eyes on me as I gesture at the bookstore around me and the rainy street outside.

"I'm just... no. I couldn't- I can't- do that to you. I would be intruding in your entire lives—"

"Hey," Jack says, cutting me off as Daniel comes up to me and places his hands on my shoulders.

"We want you to move in with us. You are not a problem. You are not an intrusion. The writing world needs you to be in L.A. in four days. We want to help you get there."

My eyebrows furrow together with emotion as I look over his shoulder to see the other boys sending me encouraging smiles and nods of agreement. I try to smile a little before pulling Daniel far enough away that they won't be able to hear me.

"Daniel...."

"Just say what you're thinking."

"I can't do that to them."

"The boys?" I nod.

"You can't do what to them?"

"Throw them into a situation where they have to live with a girl they barely know. They may have felt that they had to agree but honestly don't want me to and are just too kind to say otherwise. I can't do that to them."

"Kai, I swear that what you're worrying about is exactly what I talked to each of them about individually. I didn't want to overstep the boundaries as a band. Every single one of them are onboard. They totally love you, even though before today, they've only gotten to know you through a computer screen. They want you to come with us. I want you to come with us."

I stare into his eyes. They're beautiful.

God, please be with me as I make this decision. Thank you for providing for me through these wonderful, blessed boys. Thank you for their kindness.

I pause and offer Daniel a small smile.

"When do we leave?"