Chapter Ten

Friday, June 22, 2018

"See you tomorrow, Kai!" one of my coworkers says as I exit the diner. I smile and wave at them before ducking out the side door.

In the silence of my car, I take a deep breath, only to be interrupted by my phone ringing.
Anna's name is displayed on the lock screen.

"Hey, Anna," I greet.

"This actually isn't Anna, it's Keri," the woman says, laughing.

"Well, hello, Keri," I say.

"I realized I didn't have your phone number so I needed to borrow Anna's phone to talk to you."

"Gotcha."

"Well, I called to invite you to a sort of going-away party for Daniel later on tonight. It'll be a cookout with some of our family members and friends. Daniel's been talking about how easy it's been to get to know you, and I think it'd be really special if you were there tonight."

I squirm slightly in my seat with the news that he's talked about me at home.

"Keri, I'm flattered, really, and I appreciate the offer, but I really do feel like I'm—"

"Don't you dare say that you feel you're intruding, sweetheart," she cuts in. "You are entirely welcome and everyone would love to have you around tonight."

He leaves tomorrow morning.

"Alright, I'll see you then."

***

"Welcome, welcome!" Keri practically shrieks when I enter the kitchen. She jogs to me with her arms open wide.

"I'm so glad you're here," she says, genuine excitement etched into her gentle features.

"Happy to be here," I say, grinning.

"Kai Merta," a voice says behind me. I turn around halfway and smile when I see him.

"Daniel Seavey."

I glance at Keri, who is looking between Daniel and I with a bright eyes. She leaves to enter what I assume is the living room.

"I'll have you know that I didn't sleep at all last night."

"And you keep telling me to sleep more," I say, my gaze returning to him. "So what was the reason?"

"A book that I couldn't put down," he says, moving closer.

I refrain from letting my mouth drop open.

"You read the entire thing in one night?"

"Every last page," he says with a nod.

I just look at him, my words failing me.

"Kai," he says in a serious tone, "that was the best book I've ever read. It was intriguing and unique and I could tell you let your own style take hold of it. The characters and the development of the storyline, and goodness, it was amazing. It was all amazing."

I can't look at him anymore, so I turn to the tile beneath my feet, managing a quiet, "Thank you."

"Hey," he says, gaining my attention again. "Is the reason you don't share your talents because you don't believe you're good enough?"

After a long pause, I nod.

His hand moves to touch mine.

"You are."

***

The night melts into a blur of new faces, food, story telling, conversations, and laughter.

Nearly every family member or friend that I talk to asks if I'm Daniel's girlfriend. Each time, I laugh and say we've only known each other for a week. I suppose I understand why they would assume so, though.

Throughout the course of the evening, Daniel and I stick by each other's sides. We sit together, eat together, and laugh at way too many things that aren't very funny.

By eleven, most guests have left the Seavey household, leaving hugs and kisses behind with the boy who is traveling back to L.A. early tomorrow morning.

I say my goodbyes to Jeff and hug Anna and Keri as I get ready to head home.

"Kai," Keri says as I pull away, "feel free to come to the airport tomorrow morning to see Daniel off. We can pick you up on the way or you can drive separately, whatever you want, I just don't want to make you say goodbye to him earlier than you have to."

My heart is warmed when she offers me this. She cares about my feelings more than my own mother ever did.

"Thank you," I tell her, and I mean it.

Moments later, I'm walking with Daniel to his room so he can return my book to me.

I stop and wait in the doorway as he goes to pick it up from the nightstand beside his bed.

"Thank you for reading it," I say as he crosses the room.

"No, thank you for letting me."

He hands it to me before continuing.

"I meant every word of what I said earlier, Kai... also, I need you to do something for me."

My pulse quickens.

"Stop doubting yourself."

Before I can even consider a response, he continues.

"I can't find the words to describe how much talent you have in just two areas of your creativity that you shared with me. So I need you to stop doubting yourself and your abilities, because you have no reason to do so."

I shake my head at him. His own head tilts to the side slightly.

"What?" he says, letting out a light laugh.

"How are you so nice all the time?" He grins.
"See, always happy. Always smiling."

The look on his face makes me happy. But just as quickly as the joy arrives, it is replaced by a numbing wave of sadness.

You lose him tomorrow.

I hate the tears that build up in my eyes. I shouldn't be crying. I never cry, but thinking about not seeing him in person after tomorrow is too much to bear.

I won't see him sitting in that corner booth at the diner in the morning... I won't be surprised by his random stops at the bookstore in the afternoon... we will make no more memories on the rooftop... we won't get the chance to adventure into the woods to hike and watch the sunrise for a second time....

I know I'll be able to contact him once he leaves, but I feel as if I've already lost him.

"Woah, Kai," Daniel says, concern laced into his voice. Gentle hands rest on my shoulders. He leans down, trying to look at me.

I take a few moments to compose myself. Daniel must understand because he remains silent.

"Sorry," I whisper, "I... don't want you to leave tomorrow." I close my eyes when I finish.

I'm aware that Daniel moves closer to me, but I don't expect him to slide his arms around my waist and hug me.

My heart races as I wrap my arms around his torso, realizing this is the first time we've ever been this close to each other.

"Daniel," I say quietly.

"What?"

"Please don't forget about me."

He holds me tighter to his chest.

"I couldn't if I tried."