Chapter Twenty-Two

Friday, August 3, 2018

Six days have passed.

Ever since my first class, I knew keeping up with JTB's work would push me to my limits. Then, I didn't know we were starting off easy. Now, more than a week into the program, the work load is gradually becoming larger and expectations are higher than ever. All I want to do is succeed.

I drop flat on my back on the couch in the living room when I arrive at the house, so tired with so much work to do.

Instead of getting to it right away, I pull out my phone and call Blaire, wanting to talk to someone since the boys aren't home. We catch up for awhile, but I eventually hang up after convincing myself that I need to take care of my responsibilities.

I move to the kitchen to get a bottle of water, but end up doing the dishes that are piled up in the sink instead.

I'm humming to myself, washing a pan, when the front door opens and I hear five familiar voices. Three are singing off-key on purpose and the other two keep telling them to stop, laughing.

I shake my head, grinning to myself while placing dirty plates in the dishwasher. I register the sound of footsteps coming towards the kitchen before I hear Daniel's voice from the entryway.

"Kai Merta!" he yells. I turn around, soapy dish in hand, confused.

"What?!" I yell back.

"What have I told you about cleaning this house?!" He's trying to sound authoritative, but he's also laughing, so the illusion is ruined.

Since I moved in, the boys have made a big deal about me not cleaning up their messes just because I'm living in their house. Despite all the conversations we've had about it, I still continue to do so, feeling it's a tiny way I can repay them for everything they've done for me.

Suddenly, Daniel rushes around the kitchen island towards me, but I grab the sprayer from the sink and hold it out in front of me, a warning look on my face. He stops four feet away, grinning.

"Don't come any—"

He lunges for me. I spray him in the chest and face as his arms wrap around my waist, trapping my arms. He pulls me away from the sink while I scream and laugh.

Jack hurries into the kitchen, concern melting into amusement when he sees Daniel and I fighting for the upper hand in the middle of the room.

"Jack! Help—"

"Guys!" Daniel screams over me. "She keeps cleaning, so what're we going to do about it?!"

"Punishment!" Zach cries from the living room. I see him dart to the sliding door and pull it open.

The idea clicks in Daniel and I's mind at the exact same time.

He scoops me off my feet and sprints out of the house and into the backyard as I dissolve into a fit of terrified laughter, the boys running behind and following us, hooping and hollering.

And then, I'm in the pool.

I surface just in time to see Jonah push Zach in, Zach run into Daniel, accidentally pulling him in, Corbyn jump on Jonah's back causing them both to fall in, and Jack shrugging before diving into the deep.

Turns out laughing until my stomach hurts and treading water simultaneously is a difficult task to perform.

Daniel swims up to me.

"Sorry, shorty," he says, but he's smiling. I flick water in his direction.

As I look away from him, laughing, I catch Jack's eye at the other end of the pool.

He's staring at me with a smug grin set on his face. I furrow my eyebrows together slightly in a questioning manner. He glances at Daniel and then back at me, raising one eyebrow. I shake my head once and look away from him, but I'm blushing.