II

Adria didn't know uncomprehendable fear until she looked the Survey Corps members in the eye. Erwin had reassured her that he would not be alone, that many others were also chosen; that was a blatant lie. He and Mike took her on horseback from the gruesome atrocity at Wall Maria towards Trost; she expected a handful of children her age to be there, eagerly awaiting to earn their green capes—but there was only one other, a boy who could be her senior.

      His maroon hair matched the knit of her turtle-neck, though was darker at the roots from not being washed or brushed. He sat on his arse with his knees drawn to his chest in the square, flanked by a member with aviation goggles and another with deep set eyes. Despite being older, the boy snivelled like a child.

      Mike sniffed at her, a signal to dismount. She slid from the mare's back with her duffle and stood at attention in front of what she presumed, was Keith Shadis. He wore a long brown duster with the Survey Corps embroidered logo on the arm, breast and back; the collar was then fastened with a hexagonally carved Ruby embossed in bronze. Keith's lips twitched up upon inspection and he advanced towards her, leaving the other boy behind.

      Keith's posture was impeccable and allowed him to appear two heads taller than what his standard height was. In his left hand was a thin jockey stick, he used the flat end to poke at her joints, starting at her trembling knees and then tilting her head upwards to the sun. He gave a small grunt before nodding to his counterpart, the corporal with the goggles.

      They held a clipboard between their sun-burnt fingers and nervously pushed their spectacles up the bridge of their nose, "Commander, do you think it's a wise decision to hold them back from the remaining Thirty-Fifth Squadron? They will be at a great disadvantage once the initial training commences."

      "Nonsense Hanji," Keith's deep voice seemed to cause the Survey Corps flags to shiver behind them. "Both Mr Haus and Ms Jørgens will be at a great advantage once we're through with them." There was a pause, "I leave them in your capable hands, notify me once the examinations are done."

      Adria watched wide-eyed as Keith simply walked away; she had such high expectations but to be plainly dismissed? It made her cheeks flare red, Adria attempted to step forward and challenge Keith, but Mike extended his arm, stopping her. He was a man of few words, but the way he commanded himself earned Adria's respect. She gave an apologetic nod up at him, to which he returned with a small smirk.

      Erwin and Hanji approached the snivelling boy cautiously as if not wanting to scare him. He jumped to his feet with his left hand poised in front of his mouth; Adria scowled, was it a defensive tactic? No, it couldn't be. Erwin cautiously withdrew one blade but paused his advance when Hanji raised their right hand. The boy's chest heaved in shallow gasps, allowing Adria to get a glimpse of his features.

      Only a few years older than her, he stood at around the height of Erwin's shoulder; though she had no doubt he'd surpass the corporal's overbearing height in a heartbeat. His maroon hair fell in straight strands, but in his unkept state they stuck out at odd angles. He was oddly dirty from being in the wealthier satrap of Trost, his clothes were rags comprised of brown knee-length capris, muddied cotton pull over and fleece jacket. He was also barefoot, Adria wondered if they'd pulled him from the gutter.

      "Don't make me do it," the boy snarled. "I'll take you all down right now!"

      "Go on then," Hanji's lips glistened in anticipation. They watched eagerly as the boy's caramel eyes shifted between Erwin and the other Survey Corps which stood guard, he made the decision to lower his hand. Hanji guffawed at his weakness, "This way you two, we must begin the physical at once."