XIV

Adria wasn't unnerved at the fact Anastasia stood at the front of the crowd to wave her off. She dangled a white handkerchief over her head in the direction of Adria's horse. Adria's lips turned down and she adjusted the turquoise pin fastening her Survey Corps cloak—she hadn't bothered filing for a replacement trench-coat, she found it easier to manoeuvre without.

      After her recent regression, Keith advised a change in formation. She need not explain her ability to sense Titan's after the spectacle at Hana, so when Keith wanted her to utilise her talent she wasn't surprised. At the front, Adria could feel the eyes of the four Captains and Viktor and Neal as their guard. She'd rather be in the centre exchanging cards with Graham and Leo to ease her nerves.

        She turned back to see Keith nod, raising his sword to the Wall in signal.

       Hannes and the Garrison pulled the mechanisms of the gate, allowing a rectangle of light to open into the city. Adria shielded her eyes with the edge of her weapon and dug her heel into Yaju's side. The horse gave a neigh and shot through into the outside world.

       To most of the Corps their objective was expansion but to Adria and the other select few, Keith made it clear that he wanted to explore Marley and Eldian history. He was hoping for a Titan capture to extract information, though Adria was unsure how they'd get a self-aware Titan. And they wouldn't have enough luck to stumble upon the squat Titan that threw up the map of the Walls.

        Every so often along the ride Adria would side-saddle Yaju and hop from the horse, holding onto the reigns to touch the ground. If she sensed a feint tremor, she'd fire a green flare to signal a change in position and be answered by follow-up shots from the wing.

       Much to her dislike, Neal was kept up front as the guard, though she noticed that Viktor practically rode beside Erwin and Keith without any room for movement. Graham and Leo remained central with two other members, holding the entirety of the group together.

        "Oi, Yeltsie," Viktor cooed. "How's it hanging up there, it's been hours."

        Adria smirked and peered over her shoulder, "It'd be a comfier ride if you stopped complaining."

        Despite it being a passing comment, Neal took on the offence and tugged the reigns of the horse. The animal reared its front hooves in Viktor's direction in silent warning. In order to diffuse the oncoming tension, Hanji adjusted their googles, "Jørgens get back in formation."

         Begrudgingly, Neal replied, "Yelts-Jørgens."

       Adria shot one of the last green flares from the cartridge to alter the course of the squad. As the furl of colour cleared, Adria sat higher on the saddle to see a grey plume of smoke rise from the forest. They'd passed Hana an hour ago, which was the only withstanding large civilisation beyond the Walls—many of the small villages outside Crown perimeter were abandoned or destroyed from Titan infestation.

        The chances of a wildfire were slim since the pine forests were densely packed with no dry kindling around the area to provide fuel. Furrowing her brow, Adria guided Yaju towards the horizon of trees.

        "Adria don't veer off course, our objective is to capture a self-aware Titan. We don't have time to entertain hunters in the woods," Erwin called. "Hanji narrowed the scope of Abnormal sightings further down the route, not here."

         Ignoring his caution, Adria dipped from the bridle, so her toes could brush against the dirt. Instantly, a shot of adrenaline pulsed through her alerting to Titans.