IX

Adria sat high on the horse by the gate. Above, Hannes waved down at her with a sullen expression. It didn't ease the nerves in her stomach, Adria observed how Keith's legs shook against the bridle as he gave the signal to the Vanguard. No matter how much Keith tried to ignore the expedition outside the Walls, the public wanted results.

      Viktor grappled the reins to calm his horse; he was on Adria's right at the front of the formation, closest to the crowds restrained by an assortment of MPs and Garrison. His jaw was set tight, but when he caught onto her stare, Viktor winked.

      Adria smoothed the main of her horse and rolled her shoulders back, her stomach was somewhat at peace. The crowds cheered on the Survey Corps success; the majority of them not remembering (or caring) of the previous campaign failures. It had been so long between expeditions that even failure would bring more crowds to their cause. Adria grimaced slightly, did any of the men and women remember her father's last campaign? Were the men which accompanied Erwin on the detail still alive to continue his legacy?

      With a rumble, the gate of Wall Maria opened, enveloping the small battalion in a rectangle of light. There was no warmth to the rays, almost as if the land outside the gates had no lustre. She set her jaw tight and dug her heel into the rib of her horse, causing it to gallop. They left the Wall in the echo of cheers, though as they followed the warn path into the open, Adria felt as if they were travelling in slow motion.

      Keith hunched so far forward on his stallion at its main covered the entirety of his neck while Erwin and Mike remained stoic. Viktor kept a placid expression but his lips were tucked between his teeth out of angst, he controlled the reigns with his right hand while the left was raised to his mouth. Sighing, Adria twisted in the saddle to see that Leo remained stationary a few metres back, breaking the centre of the formation as the other Corps moved on.

      She pulled her horse to a stop, causing a few of her comrades to mutter at her before readjusting their position. Adria advanced towards Leo, the boy sunk low, tears brimming his eyes. The breast pocket of his jacket bulged from his deck of unshuffled cards; Adria could see the restlessness in his fingers.

      "Jørgens!" Keith called but didn't stop.

       Adria extended her hand to Leo, which he gratefully took, scrubbing at his tears with his sleeve, "S–sorry...I just, I'm really scared y'know? I don't want to be eaten."

      "That won't happen," she said.

      Leo gave a small chuckle, his grey eyes shimmering, "You heard what Captain Smith said—swords can't save us."

       "Then don't get yourself into a situation where you have to be saved, simple," Adria tugged on his arm. "Let's go."

***

      Their objective was expansion; to scout beyond the maps of Hana. In the back of her mind the dream, or memory was stuck on repeat. She'd seen churches and temples before, but the one which Denga and Brant found seemed primitive as if a former civilisation had carved the rectangular blocks themselves and arranged them into the mountainside. The scenery wasn't familiar to her in the slightest, but Adria knew that if her father spent his last few moments there, the answers to their questions would be answered.

      What concerned Adria more was the fact that Keith didn't alter their course unless an obstacle obstructed their path. The way to Hana wasn't harsh terrain, just rolls of hills separated by a forest – but the threat of Titans remained. From what they were taught, evasion was the easiest tactic, they'd seen a few Titans milling on the wings but Keith ignored the red flares and continued.