XVII

Keith peered out the window, sipping loudly on his bourbon laced tea. Hanji, Mike and Erwin anxiously waited in the office for orders from their Commander. Storm clouds rolled above them, spouting arcs of lightning around the city with the highest concentration towards the fortification of Maria.

      Mike inhaled sharply, "Something isn't right. I can smell a Titan."

      "Adria shouldn't have taken this long; it's almost been a full day. Neal hasn't come back with a report either. . .we've received no Telegram from Sheena, should we suspect foul play?" Hanji scowled.

      "Maybe it's Viktor, he could've found his way back to the city," Mike spread his arms. "This is the same sort of weather that would occur with a Shifter."

       Erwin shook his head, interjecting, "We can't continue hoping for Mr Tybur's survival. . .especially if Adria couldn't save him. I propose two of us go to Sheena and the other survey the perimeter of Maria with the Garrison. Something is definitely off."

      Keith grimaced as a Scout burst through the door of the office, panting in tow with a Garrison member. They gave a half-hearted solute and extended a letter to Keith. He drained the rest of his cup and read the rushed scrawl.

Commander,

Ms Jørgens and her guard were ambushed at the palace. A fight ensued and His Majesty is nowhere to be found. Military Police are in panic thinking that it was an assassination. Mr Yelts-Jørgens was captured and restrained in the square where a set of executions were scheduled. We cannot report on their status yet.

Garrison report a disturbance at Wall Maria, one of human origin. It is unconfirmed at this point, but witness say that Ms Jørgens is threatening a Titan transformation and your urgent assistance is required immediately. No soldier is able to get close to her without being knocked back by an invisible force.

For the glory of humanity.

      Keith scrunched the parchment and threw his teacup at the wall, "We were baited!"

      "Commander?" squeaked the envoy.

     "Ready the horses, now."

      Rather than splitting up as per Erwin's suggestion, Keith wanted the four to remain together, they were stronger that way. After Viktor's death, Keith began to doubt his own capabilities and strength—nobody could be trusted and there was only safety in numbers.

      What Keith could assume as a once bustling crowd, were silent on either side of the iron gates to the aristocracy. Reinforcements of Military Police made a boundary for their horses, none of them dared to meet Keith's eyes. Though, Nile leaned against the ajar gate with a rifle slung over his shoulder and a damp piece of paper—no doubt the same letter Keith received.

       "What the fuck is going on?" Keith pulled his horse to a stop.

      "Shadis. . .I didn't order this," Nile shook his head. "These men took their orders directly from His Majesty, I had no part in it."

      "In what?" Erwin reared his horse in agitation.

      Nile couldn't form words, he simply stepped aside and motioned for them to enter.

      Thunder roared above them and brought a cascade of rain. Hanji and Mike shared gasps whilst Erwin trot his horse a few metres away from the scene. Keith felt what was left of his heart bounce through the hollow of his ribcage—he'd made many promises to his predecessor and one of them was to watch over the welfare of his family. Keith failed once with Gregory's murder and now a second with Anastasia.