VIII

Brant stood in a carved alcove covered by the mouth of a forest. Books and scrolls laden the floor without care as if tossed in as an afterthought; he hastily scribbled in an open journal before placing it on a partially formed ledge. Denga stood by the entrance, black eyes scanning the area cautiously. Brant lead them through the trees where the furry monster had disappeared, seemingly evaporating into smoke.

      "Yeltsie, where are we?"

       "Consider it a point of future reference. It's a shame that the Founding Titan wiped all memory of the Marley and Eldian conflict, teaching it again will be such a pain," Brant produced a case from the folds of his cloak. "In here is Marley's secret weapon, as a Yelts the serum won't work on me. But you, Denga, are more than worthy of the Defence Titan. How you use your prowess is ultimately up to you, but I hope that it can one day unite Paradis. Y'see I'm not like the other Marlians. . .I want both societies to coexist and combine the nine shifters into the Founding Titan againhowever, politics has become too dangerous and its best to keep Eldia and Marley at odds for a while longer."

      Denga swallowed, "I don't understand. I've never heard of Marley or Eldia, I could never have picked you to be a spy."

       Brant clenched his jaw, "I'm not a spy, I left Marley because I grew sick of the conflict and seeing my friends die. The King who possesses the Founding Titan came to this island now, Paradis, and build the three walls which you know today. He used the Titans influence of memory manipulation and got all inhibitors to forget, consequently reducing them to poverty. Marley wants to reclaim this elusive Titan and rule the known world. . .I do not agree, which is why I protect the King."

       The rain, oddly warm, continued to pour down around them. Denga's chest compressed as the flashes of his dead brother drew his focus, "Yet you killed his guard."

      "Yosef was weak, admittingly so were the other Yelts which you murdered; to me, they were no loss. You have every right to distrust me but I consider myself an honest man, if I were like the other Marlians I would've allowed the Beast Titan to consume you," Brant raised his hand when Denga attempted to question him. "I do not know who the shifter is, I don't usually ask. I only know that the Beast is a threat but even I, of pure Yelts blood, cannot take it down. Thankfully it hasn't caused problems for Paradis, but the state's future is in jeopardy."

       "So, you want to turn me into one of them?" Denga shook.

      Brant extended the metal case to him and said nothing. His placid expression never faltered; some part of Denga wanted to resist but there was such a strong atmosphere of compulsion which Brant emitted making it almost impossible to refuse. He was the most liked member in the Survey Corps, and under his leadership, he invoked devotion from the publicall he had to do was show up to an event and the donations would flood in. Denga took the serum and slid it into his pocket.

      "Do not confuse my cause with the violence to come from others. I want to live a serene life with my family, not constantly risk it for political gain. Remember that when I'm gone, as soldiers our purpose is to maintain the peace, not assimilate into the chaos," Brant whistled for his horse. "Move out."

      The second regression had Adria unconscious. Viktor adjusted her head against his shoulder as they walked through the streets of Civil District. He kept his gaze straight ahead, ignoring the disapproving looks and snarls from onlookers. Graham and Leo kept close with their blades drawn at the threat of attack. They remained silent the entirety of the journey but Viktor could see the questions waiting to roll from their tongues.