Personal 23

Personal 23

AFIA P.O.V.

October 12th

I was speechless, my brain was a blank, and suddenly my lungs started to hurt, from my uneven breathing. I held my stomach in one hand and the doorknob in the other, I couldn't believe it, I couldn't comprehend what I was hearing.

I mustered up the first thing that came to mind, "How?"

She washed her mouth out with water, and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand, "He was stabbed to death, he said that his neck was slit so many times that if the body was moved one more inch, his head would have been decapitated."

A single tear slid down my face, I didn't know what to think, he had been controlling my thoughts so much that I hadn't known what it was like to think on my own anymore. I hadn't known how it was like to be able to be free. I didn't know how to feel to be honest, something inside of me told me it was some sick joke and he would be knocking on my door the next day. But I knew that he was gone, he was truly gone, there was no way he could come back.

My legs turned into jelly and I found myself putting my full weight on to the opening of the doorway, I held onto the wood for dear life as that night flashed before my eyes. The threats, the abuse, the rape, the threats, the abuse, the rape, the threats...

"Afia!" I heard Charlotte said before black took over my vision.

"Afia, wake up." Akua's gentle voice said.

My eyes fluttered open when I heard her voice, there she was beautiful as ever. Those big beautiful curls that I loved oh so much. That bright smile that could make you melt in a matter of seconds, I could not believe the sight before me it was truly her.

"Akua?" I said immediately pulling her into a tight hug. I hugged her slim figure so tight, terrified that if I let up even the slightest bit she would disappear forever

After a minute, she helped me up and said, "I have been watching you, you know?"

Letting out a shaky breath I said, "You have?"

"Of course, I am your big sister it is my duty to, but I must say that I am so proud of you." Akua said touching my stomach.

"Why, it seems like I have been doing nothing but making everyone's life a mess." I frowned.

"That's what you see in your eyes, but in everybody else's eyes, all I see is the love that they have for you, Afia you have always carried this light everywhere you go, you put hope into everyone's heart and give them the motivation to move on. You see the light in everyone, even when some may try so hard to take the light out of you." Akua said grabbing both of my hands.