Personal 29

Personal 29

Afia P.O.V. (third pov)

December 28th (Seventh Month)

"So, what did Amara get for Christmas?" Dr. Grace looked up from her notepad.

Playing with the ends of her hair Afia grinned a little, "Well Ben and I decided on getting her necklaces that matched ours but it's our names we planned on giving it to her on her fifth birthday, you know where it won't be as big of choking hazard." Tossing the hair over her should she said, "Charlotte went over board as always and Jontavian and Jackson both got her some tiny football equipment for her first football game Justice bought her a book called, 'It's Okay to Be Black', I can't wait to read it to her."

She let out a little laugh, "Did you cook?"

"My feet are still killing me, but I had so much fun, Justice and I had a conversation a while ago before everything happened about me taking cooking more seriously." Thinking about the conversation she continued, "I have my professor's wife number she does what I want to do, and I was supposed to call her but everything happening just pushed it back and it fell on the back burner."

Everything was starting to fall back into place like she had remembered it prior to everything else and the thought about cooking as a career had been on her mind, "Maybe you should call her this is something new and out of your comfort zone but still in it."

"You're right I mean nothing else has stuck out to me but cooking." Afia agreed biting her lip.

Putting her notepad down she took off her glasses, "How are you feeling about Benjamin and the football kneeling for the pledge and the backlash from it."

Sighing she had to think about it for a few minute, she didn't know how she felt about it but it wasn't about him kneeling for the pledge, no, it was more of the people who had to say something about it, he got a lot of praise from it but she couldn't ignore the backlash either, it was the man she loved after all getting slandered for doing something that was completely legal and standing up for something that has been going on since the chains were cut off from black people, "I feel fine with them for kneeling for the pledge I mean what they're doing isn't illegal and it's more than justified."

"What about the backlash?"

Holding the back to roll her eyes she tried to shake off the comments she had seen online, "Ben has been teaching me about ignoring things like that and trying to focus on the positivity but it sucks to see people tear down the man I love and turn such a blind eye to the lack of justice that the black community gets, I mean I have been looking deeper into things like this and it goes deeper than police brutality but prison systems and going against the constitution by giving black men and women sentences that they know is cruel and unusual."

"You're really passionate about this." Dr. Grace raised both eyebrows.

Nodding her head immediately at this she said, "Yeah of course I mean I came from Ghana where it was not the most perfect place and it was more than enough corruption in the government but when we got here I didn't expect so much hatred for the people of color communities."