Chapter 1

Sunlight streamed through the window of the second floor room. The room itself was situated on the eastern side of the building which meant the early morning sun would bathe the room in a warm glow. On a normal day one could say that the atmosphere from such a morning would be a marvel. A strange concept since the sun rose every day and it was an event that was taken for granted. What made it such an incredible thing now was that the light, and even the warmth was artificial.

Jayce blinked his eyes against the sun taking a deep breath before sitting up. The first time he had seen the sun had been one of the most memorable moments of his life. Everything he saw on that first day was like a dream. It all looked and felt so real regardless that it was only data being sent through his brain. If only this was a normal day, he could appreciate the technology that allowed him to be a part of this world. Almost three weeks ago he experienced what would be his last "normal" day.

Three weeks ago the Nerve Gear was released to the public. A headset that allows brain to computer connection. Alongside its release was a single program available for use. A program that in itself wasn't a completely new concept, but with the full dive technology the Nerve Gear provided, it was revolutionary. The program was a VRMMO called Sword Art Online. A fantasy MMO game where users would be able to experience all of it in a virtual environment that linked all of their senses.

During use the body of the individual would fall unconscious until they logged off. Or until someone removed the device from their head. Their entire consciousness was transferred through the connections of the Nerve Gear into Sword Art Online. Up until that point VR technology had been immersive, but nothing like the brain to computer connection that the Nerve Gear boasted. Thus the term full dive was used when describing the use of the Nerve Gear.

Ten thousand units were manufactured and sold. A large sounding number when said aloud, but in the grand scheme of supply and demand it was a small number. Acquiring the Nerve Gear felt like winning the lottery and nearly everyone, including Jayce, unpackaged the device right away wasting no time. This was the ultimate excitement for gamers. The ability to not only play an RPG, but to live it.

Jayce placed his hands on the glass of the window looking out at the town that was just beginning to wake up. NPC's and players alike were beginning daily routines. The NPC's all wore varying expressions fitting their roles in the game world of Aincrad. It was the players he noticed that all seemed to share the same behavior. Everyone looked tired, scared, and doubtful. His reflection was visible in the glass and he couldn't deny that his own face mirrored theirs.

Turning away from the glass Jayce flicked his finger downward opening the system menu and navigated to the inventory screen. He was only wearing a pair of black shorts and t-shirt to sleep in. After tapping on a few different places on the command window a leather cuirass appeared over his chest. A pair of black pants and boots materialized on his lower half and finally a hooded cloak fluttered into existence over his armor. With a final tap he attached his sword to the belt on his waist and looked towards the door of his room.

For nearly three weeks he had used this room in the Town of Beginnings. It took all his courage to leave every day to make just enough col for food and lodging. It was all he could manage before hiding himself away in the room once more. He was lucky if he managed to earn enough to have some left over after paying for the food and room, but all that meant was that the next day he had to earn less, and so, there was never any profit.

"Have a nice day sir." Jayce gave a slight nod to the innkeeper NPC who bid him farewell. The fear was already beginning to creep into the edges of his mind now that he left the safety of the room. For now, there was nothing to worry about so long as he remained within the confines of the town, but that wouldn't work. The sense of hunger, and sleep existed within SAO, and for that he needed to earn the currency of the game, col. The only way of accomplishing that was to venture out and find the creatures generated by the game and kill them.