Chapter 38

There was limited information about the game's mechanics prior to the launch. Initial reviews and hype surrounding the Nerve Gear were abundant, but unless you dug deep it was hard to find substantial information in regards to the various aspects of Sword Art Online. Now, with the game's official launch well underway knowledge was gained primarily by word of mouth or through information brokers like Argo. Her strategy guides detailed various status effects that were prominent on the two accessible floors and which enemies would employ them. Her knowledge of this was gained either through firsthand experience or from people she purchased the info from.

It was a widely accepted opinion that the first few floors were fairly simple with enemies that lacked any real abilities to contend with. Not that they weren't dangerous, but there were minimal status effects a player would need to worry about during these early levels of play. It was meant to accustom the player with combat and use of sword skills before bringing the full weight of the game to bear. The wrinkle with that particular opinion was that it had been based on the knowledge of the normal series of quests and enemies prevalent on the floor. It did not include secret quest lines or boss monsters like the one that guarded each floor.

Jayce watched his sword spin away from his body glinting slightly as it spun through the air. In SAO there were enemies that could disarm a player. There were multiple different ways this was performed and varied on the monster in question. On these low floors the worst that could happen was the enemy could make you drop the weapon. Later on it was possible that the weapon could be snatched away. Both had their dangers involved, but with backup weapons or a level head the player could react appropriately and safely. The most dangerous disarm technique was <<Dismemberment>>. A player who suffered this particular effect couldn't simply equip a backup weapon without the hand and would be at the enemy's mercy.

"Move!" Jemza charged into Jayce knocking him aside. Artemis's blade glowed brightly arcing down towards where Jayce had been. The skill <<Vertical>> impacted against the blade of Jemza's dagger as she bit down hard and shoved back deflecting the attack. Her health bar was still dangerously low, the potions effects still working slowly to fill her back to full.

"Jemza!" She looked over seeing an object sailing through the air towards her. Jayce's voice should have been full of fear or concern, but she didn't detect any of that. It truly was different now for them. They didn't need to be worried for each other. There was no need to be scared of one of them dying. As far as they were concerned they were a single unit. If one fell, they both fell and that meant the only way to win was together.

"Got it!" She leapt high into the air using her agility stat to roll and spin to avoid Artemis's next blow aimed at her chest. Mid jump she slashed her dagger wide intercepting the bottle Jayce had thrown. It shattered, coating her dagger once more in venom before she fell back to the earth landing lightly. Her body remained low to the ground juking side to side while pushing Artemis back a few steps from her wide slashes of the dagger.

"You both just won't die!" Artemis jumped to the side as Jayce dove in from behind Jemza, a simple iron sword gripped in his left hand. The man raised his sword high above his head looking to activate another <<Vertical>> skill, but Jayce used the opportunity to step forward pressing the blade of his sword against the one held in Artemis's hands. In one motion he slipped past the man pushing the blade up and over his head and behind his back pinned against Jayce's

"You first." Jemza had already activated her sword skill before Jayce had even finished his movements. The dagger pulled her forward in a lunge driving deep into the depression where the man's neck met his chest. His eyes bulged while she pushed the blade into his throat, his body convulsing. Jayce pushed forward as well keeping his arms and sword locked behind his back. Jemza twisted the blade making Artemis shudder one last time before his body broke apart and shattered.