Chapter 19

Jemza had been uncharacteristically silent during the walk towards the same inn they had stayed at last night. Something was clearly on her mind which Jayce interpreted as concern surrounding the very real possibility that another player tried to kill them. Considering how badly he had handled being trapped in the game he was amazed that he wasn't overcome with the urge to run and hide. Something about this type of problem was easier to handle. It felt almost familiar in many ways and it was something he understood.

He held the door open for her as they entered the inn and she continued walking more like an NPC than an actual player. She had to be more worried than he originally thought. Inside towns like Urbus they were safe. Even if hundreds of players fell upon them right now they would not incur a single point of damage due to the <<Safe Zone>> status all towns had. This fact seemed to be doing little to calm Jemza who every so often would glance his way and then look away quickly.

"Good evening, what can I get for you?" The NPC innkeeper in this particular establishment was an older grizzled man holding a mug in one hand and a washcloth in the other. He ran the cloth around the inside of the mug repeatedly before setting it aside and placing his hands on the counter between them.

"Two rooms for the night."

"Ah!" The sound from Jemza nearly made Jayce jump in surprise. She had been so quiet during the walk that he assumed she wanted to be left to her own thoughts, but now she looked strange. Whatever was going on in her mind right now was causing severe indecisiveness and it looked like it was tearing her apart.

"It's fine, just rest tonight I'll pay for it. Been a long day for us both so just try to relax." Jayce mentally patted himself on the back after that. Not that he didn't mean what he said, but there was a certain selfish pride to be had in being a gentleman.

"Can I stay with you tonight?" The mental patting stopped and Jayce had to blink repeatedly trying to discern if he had misheard the girl beside him. Even the innkeeper looked between the two a bit confused as to what service he should provide.

"Uh...wha...um...?" Goodbye intelligent thoughts and rationality. Jayce's brain entered full panic mode as Jemza shifted back and forth on her feet nervously. He hadn't misheard her so for him the only response he could make was to stand, staring at her stupidly with his mouth opening and closing wordlessly.

"P...please." Now it sounded like she was begging him. What had she been thinking about during the entire walk here? None of this made sense. Why was she asking for something as shocking as this? Worst of all, Jayce didn't know what to do. Should he do what she asked and share a room with her? Didn't that mean they would be sleeping in the same room? Maybe even the same bed?

He reached up to pull the hood of his cloak tighter to hide his face and only then remembered she was still wearing his cloak. Instead he now stood with his hand awkwardly situated near the side of his face. The innkeeper took a deep breath and cleared his throat still waiting for either of the two to decide what exactly was happening. Jemza still looked like she was about to burst from a myriad of emotions running through her.

"Hurry." Her voice was barely a whisper and if Jayce's head wasn't already spinning, now it kicked into overdrive. She was a grown woman and he was a grown man wasn't it natural for these type of things to happen? They had only spent a few days together, but it had been many hours and it's not like they didn't get along. Did she have feelings for him and now they were overflowing waiting to be released?

"Just one." Jayce finally managed to say trying to conceal his own emotions. The innkeeper took his money and produced a key which Jayce took. With a glance at Jemza he headed for the stairs with her following close behind. As if on instinct he quickly looked around the inn trying to make sure no one was watching. Or, to be more precise, to make sure a certain brown hooded rat wasn't around.