Chapter 16

Half a dozen more bulls shattered into shards of light over the course of the next half an hour. As the last one fell Jemza and Jayce both received an extra window after the experience, col, and items listing. A congratulatory window signaling they had both leveled up to 9. Three more after this and they would earn another valuable skill slot. If things kept up how they were going this early into the second floor they would be able to reach level 12 within a day or two.

The bulls had followed a predictable pattern so far relying on a charge to inflict damage. The pair was able to avoid it easily enough therefor nullifying the bull's greatest offense. As long as they kept their distance it would continue to charge at them allowing free attacks as it passed by. Thus, it became their routine for Jemza to gain the creatures attention and attack after a dodge. Jayce functioned as a finisher using a sword skill to deplete the remaining health of the bull after Jemza's attack.

"Would it be tactless to say I'm having fun?" Jayce shook his head in response.

"No, I don't think so. Reality is we're trapped here for a long time. However long that may be this is our life now. We're alive so that's something to be thankful for." Jemza smirked while walking towards him. She punched him lightly on the shoulder before putting her hands on her hips.

"Look who's coming out of their shell! I still think you're an imposter. What changed with you?"

"I'm not sure exactly. I was so scared of dying here that I avoided doing anything short of the simplest of creatures. Even then I only hunted for just enough col to pay for my room. I felt safe there, but let's assume that best case scenario a floor was being completed every week. Ninety-nine more weeks is basically two full years, and again that's best case scenario. I can't live hiding in a room in the Town of Beginnings that long." Jemza listened to him explain everything nodding while he spoke.

"There's nothing wrong with being afraid. It's not like I want to die or that I'm not afraid of it. I just want to live my life without wasting any of it." She replied.

"I guess that's the same point I've gotten to now. I just needed something to live for." He said staring into her eyes. They continued to stare at each other in silence, Jemza's eyes narrowing slightly. The sound of virtual wind blowing across the open savannah was the only sound either could hear. After what seemed an eternity Jayce's face began to crack, his lip quivering slightly.

"That was smooth." As the words left her mouth Jayce finally let out the laughter he had been holding in.

"Right? I thought it was pretty good." She was laughing now too as he fought to catch his breath. She shook her head equally finding it hard to breath.

"A for effort sir, you earned it." Jayce bowed sarcastically in response, but as his upper half leaned forward he noticed something strange. Small, digitally created rocks and pebbles were scattered all throughout the open fields. Nothing was strange about that, except that they were vibrating. His body snapped upward and the smile on Jemza's face was already gone replaced with a deep concern.

"I feel it." As she voiced her confirmation of what he saw there was a definite tremble to the entire ground they stood on.

"Earthquake?" Jemza's head swiveled rapidly taking in their surroundings. Aside from the mountain behind them that Urbus was built into there was nothing but open savannah. The few trees and boulders that peeked out every so often were the only other notable features.

"I don't think so." Her voice was tinged with panic while the pair tried to find an answer to the unexplained phenomena occurring around them.