Chapter 6

Horunka village consisted of a few small homes set alongside a lake. The rest was surrounded by the forest of large trees making it nearly impossible to spot the town from a distance. The lake on the western edge of town shimmered from the rays of sun reflecting off its surface. Serene was the best word to use when describing the atmosphere within the town. NPC's went about their predetermined programming, but whereas the Town of Beginnings seemed to bustle, Horunka was calm.

"Good afternoon." An older gentleman tipped his hat towards Jayce and Jemza as they entered the town.

"It's polite to answer a greeting with one of your own. Don't be rude." Jayce's partner nudged him in the shoulder criticizing his lack of response to the NPC's greeting.

"Same to you, sir." Jayce answered looking back towards the man who waved a hand. He then shifted his gaze towards Jemza glaring at her from within the hood of his cloak.

"Feels good to be cordial doesn't it?" She said undeterred by his irritation.

"He's an NPC. He doesn't care if I say hello or ignore him." Jayce argued back making Jemza puff her cheeks out angrily.

"That doesn't matter. Manners are manners." She crossed her arms defiantly bringing a sigh out of Jayce. Before he could further the argument they came to a stop in front of a small house that was indicated in Argo's guide as the starting point for the quest. This was unfamiliar territory for Jayce. He had never performed a quest in the game as of yet. They provided excellent experience, money, and items, but were inherently more dangerous. Keeping Jemza's desire for politeness in mind, Jayce reached up and knocked on the door gently.

"Come in." Jayce opened the door after hearing an older woman's voice answer. The doorway opened in a small combination living, dining, and kitchen area. An open doorway on the far wall led further into the home, but otherwise this single room seemed to contain the majority of its size. An older woman sat before a pot of simmering liquid stirring it slowly when they entered. She looked up forcing a smile beckoning him and Jemza inside.

"Ah, hello travelers. I would offer you something, but I have nothing but water. How may I be of service?" Her voice was almost grandmotherly with small traces of sadness.

"That's ok ma'am you don't..."

"It seems you are cooking something though." Jayce interrupted Jemza who quickly spun on him.

"How rude! If you were hungry then..." She trailed off as the sounds of coughing came from the open doorway. The older woman turned towards the sound and forced another bitter smile.

"Forgive me, but yes I am trying to make something to ease a cough." Jemza took a step back from Jayce her eyes shifting from anger to concern. Jayce wasn't being rude; he was simply progressing the quest dialogue in the direction it needed to follow. She gave him a look of apology before turning back towards the woman.

"How bad is it?" There was a genuine sound of concern in Jayce's voice. Jemza noticed it, and this time it didn't seem like he was doing it for her sake. Not more than five minutes ago he seemed to act like NPC's were nothing but programs that could be ignored. Why now was he treating this differently?

"We have tried every remedy available with no success. Her condition has worsened each day. She needs a mixture brewed from the ovules of a creature within the woods outside of town. They are dangerous beings and no one here is capable of facing them." Jemza watched as Jayce stepped further into the house towards the doorway. She followed slowly behind until she could see the small room that was attached. On a bed was a little girl huddled under a pile of blankets. She shivered hard coughing every so often against whatever illness had befallen her.