Chapter 11

Tap tap tap. The rhythmic sound of the pestle pressing down into the mortar was the only sound in the room. It had taken a long time to get back here, but it was a necessary choice. Horunka Village held nothing further and so long as she was there he could not stay. Not after what he did to her. So, he did the only thing he had been good at doing for the past month since being trapped within SAO. He ran, and hid.

Tap tap tap. He was back in the familiar room he had rented for so long in the Town of Beginnings. The room where he was safe from everything outside. He removed the pestle and tipped the contents of the mortar into a glass bottle filled with clear liquid. After setting the mortar down he lifted the bottle and shook it gently to let the ground materials absorb into the liquid. <<Mixing>> was always so relaxing, and never ceased to calm the nerves.

Jayce stared into the liquid spinning inside the bottle. It swirled around the edges leaving a slight red tint. With the supply of <<Amberthorn>> he could make more of these potions and sell them to players. With that money he wouldn't have to leave this room. He could remain here for a very long time depending on the profits. With his current level and equipment there was a good chance that he could also fight the kobold camps alone and find more <<Amberthorn>>. He would never have to see Jemza again if he waited long enough. The shame and embarrassment he felt could be avoided forever.

"Rah!" The bottle sailed across the room shattering against the wall. Jayce clenched his fists and slammed them down on the table lowering his head. He breathed heavily unable to calm himself. Even <<Mixing>> wasn't enough to take his mind off of things. He opened his hands that were no longer covered in black leather gloves and he looked over his palms noticing them shake considerably. Only a few hours ago those hands attacked Jemza, throwing her against a wall and pinning her there.

His face sunk down until it fell into the palms of his hands. He shoulders shook as he wept into them. He could never ask her for forgiveness after what he did. No, it was better to remain alone in this town where he could avoid hurting anyone else. This was how things were meant to be for him. The loneliness was something he could deal with. Jemza was a beautiful woman who was plenty skilled to handle herself. She could find plenty of other people to party with. She was reliable, honest, and helpful. An asset to any group that was lucky enough to meet her.

Or take advantage of her. What if she met some other person late at night and asked for his help? Would he be trustworthy and help her innocently, or would he harm her? Now that she wasn't beside him would she be safe? He left her alone in Horunka Village before she could say anything. Chances are she was still there, but come the morning light there was no telling where she would go next. The next person she meets could be deserving of being beside her and stay by her side until this infernal game was beaten.

Jayce put a hand over his chest feeling it tighten. Was this a feeling of jealousy? If it was, then why was it worming its way into his mind right now? Jemza was better off away from him wasn't she? He was doing her a favor by cutting their ties early on. This way she would never be disappointed. Yet, if this was all for the better, then why was he feeling an immense amount of regret?

He pushed himself back away from the desk and stood. He fell atop the bed and forced his eyes closed trying to force sleep to come. No matter how hard he tried to forget, the moment his eyes closed he saw her face and how upset she looked when he ran. The best thing he could hope for now was that these thoughts would disappear eventually. For now, however, he would have to fight to fall asleep.

December 4th 2022

Jayce's eyes blinked a few times against the sunlight streaming through the window onto the bed. He was still in his leather armor and sword belted to his hip. The clock on the edge of his vision indicated it was already late into the morning. A series of banging sounds echoed in the room coming from the door. Instantly, his blood ran cold as he could only imagine who it was outside his door.