Chapter 47

Rose gasped for air while Jayce helped her sit up. Relief flooded through him as she continued to suck down large gulps of air. She looked around finding Jayce next to her and quickly threw her arms around his neck. She began trembling and he could tell that she was crying hard. Jayce placed his hands on her back still fighting back his own desire to run after Argo. The girl had returned to the door trying to force it open, whether she had succeeded he didn't know.

"Thank you." Between sobs Rose managed to say those two words, but Jayce didn't know how to respond. Jemza was still inside and he hadn't seen Luna or Roland since the explosion.

"This is becoming a habit." Jayce looked up as a man approached through the tunnel. Jayce shook his head with a sigh and waved a hand once Rose separated.

"I should have guessed. Not many <<Mixers>> out there and based off what I saw you're the best right now." Jayce reached out and shook PoH's hand.

"Here, take it quick. What happened out here?" Jayce took the vial of blue liquid from the man and looked back towards the stairs leading down towards the tavern.

"It's kind of a long story. I didn't know you and Argo were friends." PoH's face never shifted from the neutral demeanor he had.

"We're not, but I understand the value of information and like her or not, she's the best. Besides, having Argo the Rat owe me a favor is one of the most valuable things one can have. Where's Jemza?"

"I'm here." Holding onto Argo's shoulder Jemza appeared at the top of the stairs. Jayce dropped the empty vial and ran to her. Argo helped her onto his shoulder while Rose slowly got to her feet and joined them.

"I want to yell at you." Jayce looked over Jemza's body seeing her armor and clothes torn in many places.

"Yeah." She grinned in response mimicking the conversation they had so long ago when hunting the <<Little Nepenthes>>.

"We'll settle up later Rat." PoH said quietly as he walked past Argo. The girl nodded once watching as he walked away from them. She turned her attention back towards the trio of people hugging each other and let out a large breath of air.

"There he was...trapped amidst the burning wreckage! I fought to keep the eight...no ten assassins at bay while Jayce struggled to free himself!" Jayce, Jemza, and Rose looked over at Argo as she threw herself into her story. Another over exaggerated story that Jayce knew would most likely end with him looking foolish.

"Argo...never change." Jemza laughed reaching her arm out to Argo could join them.

"Roland and Luna?" Rose looked towards Jemza and she shook her head sadly.

"Luna got me out. If it wasn't for her I never would have made it, but she...she stayed behind." The happiness between them vanished and Rose closed her eyes taking a deep breath while nodding.

"Stayed behind for Roland right?" Rose asked and Jemza looked away.

"Yeah." Jayce swallowed and looked back towards the tunnel. He shook the girls shoulders and motioned towards it.

"Come on, it's late. Let's go eat and get some rest."

"Even me?" Argo looked up at him flashing a smile.

"Against better judgment, yes you too."

"Go on ahead, I'll catch up. There's something I need to do before we leave." Rose moved towards the seal on the wall that usually unlocked the way to the Infiltrators Den. The plaque was dull now, with no sign of functioning as it once did.