2 | It's Been Two Years

The bell interrupted my train of thoughts as everyone around me began shuffling out of the classroom. It was loud, crowded, messy, and complete chaos in the room as I tried to pack up as well.

The boy I needed to talk to was gone. He had left before I could even zip my backpack up. As for the worksheet from earlier, I had to erase that note, yet the words still lingered in my mind since I had spent the rest of my time in this classroom mulling over what it could mean.

I glanced at Allison Frances to see that she finished conversing with her friends before walking out of the class. I, slinging the backpack over my shoulders, walked out after her into the busy hallway.

Bad idea.

Her group of friends stampeded over my form as they rushed to her side, their mouths opening and closing like wrung puppets.

One girl knocked hard into me and I let myself stumble a bit before acting the dramatic fall. My fake glasses slid off my face as two of my braids whipped to the front.

Reaching for my backpack, I saw a shadow loom over me from the corner of my eyes while they were fixed to the floor.

"Watch where you're going, lowlife," a high-pitched voice rained down upon me. I looked up to meet eyes with one of Allison's followers.

"S-sorry," I let out, my voice trembling in act. My hands clenched tightly into fists at my side before I internally sighed at the attitude I just observed.

Remember your mission, Jamie. Don't crack.

Allison eyed me with a strange stare from where she was standing before I soon interpreted it to a detest expression written as clear as day on her glossy face.

I hurriedly gathered my things and stood up, acting low towards the groups of friends she had before turning my back to them and heading down the long flight of stairs to my next class.

As I left, I heard Allison's friends chirping not-necessarily-pleasant commentaries behind my back.

"She is such a nerd."

"Does she know she's unattractive?"

"I'm gonna puke if I ever see her hair again."

"Don't even get me started on her glasses."

Hopping the rest of the way down the stairway, I speed-walked to math class.

Then again math was my least favorite subject, no matter how good I was at it, so being tardy wasn't a big deal. I really... really, hated math.

I was perfectly fine with it until the alphabet became so involved everyday.

The late bell was about to ring, announcing that the doors were to be shut after it was heard, but I made it in the nick of time. Allison was in my math class as well, but she came late for unknown reasons and had to go to the front office to get a tardy pass.

I sighed as I glanced at her empty seat. This girl couldn't even get from one class to another by just walking. I didn't understand what was so important about her.

So important, in fact, that I had to be imprisoned in this school for two years just to protect her from 'harm.'

What would anyone want to do with her, though? It's been two years. Honestly, if she did have someone after her, I'd positively say that they either died or gave up a long time ago after seeing how useless and ordinary she was.