14 | Day One

The outcome was obvious.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

We were gonna back out.

"Haha, let's not," I started, grabbing onto Liam's shirt and tugging him as a sign to retreat.

Liam looked back at me and cocked his eyebrows amusingly, "Why," he whispered with a smug smile pasted on his face, "You scared, Lennon?"

I leaned into him and sped-whispered, "Carter you know goddamn well we're gonna end up murdering the poor boys before they could even see their grandkids, have you no mercy?"

He seemed to think about it for a moment.

"Guess not," he popped, averting his attention away from me and instead at a heated Daniel and his pumped up friends.

I wasn't sure what to do right now. 99% of me wanted to join in. The other 1% was bound to the contract we agents follow.

But I didn't have time to think anymore. They were gonna do it. They were gonna end it today. I'm gonna have to dig three graves today. I'm gonna have to dig three goddamn graves today-

Oh, hold up. Someone came to stop that from happening.

"Would I be able to interest your group in any special sales we're offering today?" A young working attendant obliviously came up and greeted us cheerfully in a sing-song voice.

Everyone paused.

I turned around and 'ctrl + c, ctrl + v'-ied the same sweet face I'd been using with my teachers since 2015.

"No ma'am we're shopping separately," I answered, "However, the girl with the golden locks and her three guy friends would like to go and peruse the underwear section. I heard you're having a special buy two get one free sale?"

I have never prayed harder in my life. And not just to one god, no, I needed all the gods.

I prayed that there was a buy two get one free sale for underwears today.

To, Jesus and friends.

"Oh, you are quite right!" she replied to my question, placing her hands together and glancing at Allison and her group.

Quite right. Q-ui-t-e right? Since when was there a 'quite right.'

You know, if the head of the R.U. said to me, "Agent W, I assume you finished your mission?" and I had answered him, "You are quite right, sir." Do you know how I would end up?

Not with my cash that's for sure. I'm gonna end up starving that week.

Goddamn, why can't there just be a right and wrong. The world's so complicated, and the English language along with it.

"Please follow me then," the attendant directed at Daniel. He seemed to still be trying to understand the sudden change in the situation, but Allison wrapped her arms around him and dragged him away. The other two boys followed suite, equally confused.

Allison and Daniel glared daggers into my eyes as they passed. The attendant worker guided them away and I was able to let out a loud, long breath.