- EPILOGUE -

3 years later

It was a peaceful night where I remained lifeless on my bed. I felt tired and unproductive as I put on music and tossed the phone somewhere on the mattress while I closed my eyes. No one was in the house. It was quiet and empty save the body that was mine occupying a tiny fraction of the area inside.

I felt my chest rise and fall steadily as I gazed at the dark ceiling with a blank stare. The time was 11pm the last I checked the clock. Usually, Helene and Carlos would drop by with Cherish since they were, uhem, fired from the agency. However, today I heard there were plans going on at the R.U. They were probably called up for something considering they didn't pay me a visit.

I rolled on my stomach and propped up my head with my hands as my elbows supported it. I wasn't a part of the corporation anymore. It wasn't my business where anyone was or what they did. Well, except for one man.

Suddenly, my phone rang. My startled self raised her eyebrows and picked it up to see who had the damn nerves to call almost at midnight and disrupt the lonely me deep in thought.

Clearing my throat, I proceeded with an uninterested tone, "... I'm shaving, please leave a messag—"

There was a chuckle on the other side that interrupted me. My eyes widened as I shut my mouth and pressed the phone to my ear.

"Carter," My voice came out barely above a whisper, a beam emerging on my face as I tilted my head on his reply.

"Shaving you said?" Liam asked from the other side.

I laughed, "I thought you were Kai or someone."

"Uhuh," he commented sarcastically, "And you would tell Bennet that you're shaving?"

"You don't know how fast he'd click his phone off," I smirked, running a hand through my hair as I turned to lay on my back. There was a moment of silence on the line before I heard the man speak up with, "I missed you."

A sad smile formed on my face as I tried to recall the last time we were in touch. It had been a few weeks. Liam had a mission overseas and he was still currently on it as far as I knew. We both missed calls due to the different time zones and it ended up with me telling him to just focus on the mission. We would talk when he came back. I'd rather that then him get distracted and hurt, and then never come back.

"Jamie?" Liam spoke up again.

"You could call now?" I asked carefully, "What about the mission?" My expression dropped and I sat up criss-crossed on the bed, glancing at the clock, "... I'll just call you later. For now—"

"Jamie." He cut in firmly.

I pulled away the phone and looked at it with slightly wide eyes. Crap, I did it again.

"Sorry," I put my face in my hands lightly after letting the phone sit on the bed, "I'm just a little tired." Sighing a bit at how my mood drastically changed so quickly recently, I added, "I miss you, Liam. I want to see you."

Even if I couldn't see his face at the moment, I could picture the man smiling on the other side. "You miss me?" I suddenly heard him ask.

"Yeah.." I sat there with my eyes closed and listened to his deep voice. He'd grown, even more so than the last time we were together. He knew just what to say, when to say them, and how to say them to make me feel better. I still don't know how the man does it, but I wondered how he was going to do it today. For some reason I didn't feel like being happy today.