23 | So We Drink

— Flashback —

"COME OVER HERE," his bellowing voice threatened to strangle my small neck.

"Uhhh... new phone number who's this?" My voice squeaked, dashing around the parking lot.

"JAMIE," Axel roared, sliding across a car and picking up his pace until we're only a few feet apart.

"Wait Axel," I whined out in staggered breaths, "Wait- I'm not as young as I used to be-"

"'Not as young' my ass, get your 'bout-to-be-spanked' butt over here," he growled in a low tone, grabbing my wrist and yanking it closer to him so that my body twirled abruptly against his broad chest.

Now in movies that shit was romantic.

My nonexistent chest hitting his solid rock one was something humanity never wanted to happen.

"Ax- Axel, ple- ease please- Wait Axel!" I cried out as he grabbed my chin and surprisingly gently pulled it up to his face so that our two eyes were forced to make eye contact.

"Now," he tried to catch his breath, all the while trapping me in this 'very much too close' position, "Explain... to me again what happened?"

I was sweating, and I was proud to say it wasn't the sun cooking our faces this time. "Aren't you just glad I'm back?" I piped carefully, my eyes wavering from his.

It was interesting to note that Helene and Carlos were standing right there with me. All three of us had stalled at a hotel and ate out at fast food restaurants before returning to the R.U. It had been two years since I stepped foot in there, and I should've looked forward to it.

Correction. I looked forward to seeing one person, but I also dreaded seeing him the most.

"I..." I started, gulping a little. He's making me lose my cool, luckily no other agent was outside being chased in the parking lot and then locked tightly against each other. "I slept with... him."

"Now why in heaven's word did you do that, Jamie?" He raised his eyebrows, sarcastically amused to the point where I wanted to lasso the sun and hurdle it at him.

"I texted you already about it," That was it. My eyes fell to some trees in the background because I honestly didn't have any good reason.

He tightened his grip, making me let out a quick tsk before returning back to drilling a hole in his eyeballs.

"YOU SLEPT WITH HIM," Axel reminded me, making me flinch for real, "That wasn't on the to-do list, Agent W."

I pursed my lips quietly as I heard my code name being called. No doubt I was getting in trouble.

"I'm sorry," I emphasized for like the twentieth time this afternoon, "I said I'm sorry!"

Axel shook his head, not taking the damn apology. "Did you think this through?"

No.

"What would happen if he SHOT you or something?"

... Oh did I leave that part out too? Yikes...