19 | I was No Angel

There were tubes and wires hanging all over my body. It was injecting air into my system. They had changed me into a hospital gown. My eyes gradually fluttered open and looked to the side. My reflection reflected off of the surface of one of the medical equipments and I saw just how weak I looked.

I lost color in my skin and lips, and my eyes no longer held its fighting spirit. My body laid limply on the creaking bed the hospitals provided as the doctors and nurses rushed in and out to check on my heart beat and condition. Soon, they were chatting quickly with one another, in a language I couldn't understand in my state. It annoyed me. I just wanted peace and quiet.

"Can you all... leave the room," I let out weakly.

They didn't hear me. They kept talking about something. They kept panicking about something. They kept arguing about something.

"Please," I tried again, raising my voice, "Pl-

"Please leave."

I was quiet when I heard that voice. My eyes traveled to the man standing at the door that had gotten the doctors' and nurses' attention.

"You know we can't do that," A nurse replied, "And you're not allowed to be in here."

"What relation do you have with this young lady?" The doctor closest to me asked.

"I'm a friend."

Liar.

"That's too vague," He said back to Liam, "Please be understanding and exit-"

"I'm her boyfriend," Liam tried dully.

Psh. Liar.

There was a moment of silence as everyone tried to figure out what to do.

"Her condition's stable right now," a nurse finally chimed in, "She's been okay for the past five minutes. How about we give her some space?"

Yes. Thank you.

"Alright then," came the same doctor after a short sigh, "Just a few minutes," he said to Liam. Every doctor and nurse began making their way out.

Wait. I take it back. Don't leave me alone with him.

The door closed and silence took over.

Damn it.

"Jamie," Liam called to me, coming closer to the bed I was laying on. I pretended to sleep.

"Jamie," He tried again, standing right before me.

One eye peeked open.

"..." I stared at him and his slightly messy hair. It was fine though, he still looked good. Like always.

"What," I replied.

"You feeling okay?"

I stayed silent. Was I feeling okay?

"No," I responded, "I'm feeling awful. Thanks for asking."

"Jamie," he trailed off, watching me deal with my thoughts.

Everything that had happened in the last 24 hours came rushing through my mind and I replayed each of them vividly in my head.

"If I said I didn't panicked, or felt lost and tired, I'd be lying," I managed.

There were so many things I wanted to say. There were so many things I wanted to rant about. And there were so many things I wanted answers to. But I stopped myself when I felt his arms wrap gently around me and pull me into his warm chest.