10 | Just for Ice Cream

"Too bad I couldn't look nicer for you on our date, babe," I cooed slyly, sneaking a glance at the boy next to me for a reaction as we stood in line waiting for our ice creams.

I was still in my midnight blue sweater and black leggings, but my hair was let down right now as I had taken off the black ribbon earlier. Aka, detention outfit.

Liam cocked his eyebrows at me and rolled his eyes, "The cringe is real."

I dropped my act and punched him on the arm, "I am a very good actor."

"Uhuh mhmm," he hummed, moving up a few feet as the line became shorter, "As good as your art skills."

This time it was my turn to raise my eyebrows.

"Excuse you," I started, gaping in disbelief, "You did not just insult my drawing."

"Eh," Liam responded uninterested.

We reached our ice cream and both ordered. He got a plain chocolate ice cream on a cone while I got mint chocolate chip. When he reached to pay and one glance at the amount in his hand and I stopped him with my hand.

"I'll pay for my own," I said, "I don't like being in debt with anyone."

Liam stared at me for a split second before shrugging slightly and letting me pull out my own money. We eventually both finished paying for our sweets and went over to a bench to sit.

"Usually on dates," Liam began, leaning back on the bench, "The boy pays."

I took a tiny bite of my ice cream before replying, "Vhey?"

The boy turned to me as he stared at me with his head slightly tilted, wanting me to repeat what I had said.

I put up a finger as if to mean, give-me-a-sec-I'm-choking-on-ice-cream.

"'Why?'" I repeated for him after I had swallowed the lump of cold ice cream that I had previously thought was a 'tiny bite.'

Liam seemed to be suppressing a chuckle and only let out a quick amused scoff before saying, "Carlos never paid for you?"

I mentally sighed at the name.

"We never did anything fancy during dates," I answered truthfully, "Going out to practice shooting and watching the sun set was basically it."

Liam eyed me curiously, "Are you serious?"

"Do I look like I'm lying?"

He finally let out a smug smile before turning away from me and eating his ice cream instead.

"Might as well show you a good time before I kill you," he mumbled into his ice cream.

"What," I asked matter-of-factly, my eyes closing as I ate my treat.

"Nothing."

"You sure? You said nothing?"

"Yup."

"Nothing like, 'show you a good time before I kill you?'"

"I would never."

A smile managed to appear on my face as I let out a small laugh. I covered it up as I pushed the ice cream on my lips and felt it slowly melt against my skin.

"I want to try mint chocolate chip," he chimed after a short moment of silence.

We both opened our eyes and turned to look at each other.

"Wait-"

Before I could finish he leaned closer to me and took a neat lick on the opposite side of my ice cream swirl.