27 | Locked Up

My ears naturally blocked out any other disturbances that came from the R.U. For two seconds, my attention was fixed on the older version of the assassin I was acquainted with, as we travel back three years in time. It was not possible, how? Something purged at my heart, I couldn't quite put a finger on it, but I think I myself was battling between approaching him as a friend or a foe.

The Liam that stared at me grew exceptionally well over the last couple of years. He'd gotten a bit of height on him, and buffer from training. His hair was submissively gelled to part a bit as the tips passed the tops of his eyes and gave him a rather strangely satisfying appearance. A single, modest small-sized silver lining ear ring hung from his left ear, although his unpierced right ear was facing me. He wore black training clothing, with gadgets like his fancy watch, straps, pockets, and weapons forming the thick illusion that lined his body.

I tried finding something familiar that I could connect with, and I subconsciously directed my attention to his eyes. I tried connecting with him, I expected him to connect back as well. His eyes and expressions remained stoic as the seconds passed, and he looked at me like every other agent in this building was right now, more so adding a slight tilt of his head like he was waiting for my next move. And that's when I realized there was something awfully wrong with the situation. This man had no idea who I was.

What...?

I bit back my attempt to call out his name as a stern eye from Jay told me to stop being distracted and get back in the game. Save the questions for later, he told me in a single frown.

But right then disaster stroke. Bennet had seen Carter. He saw his comrade being held back by the 'threatening stares coming from Jay and I.' Three years of pent up anger and longing for his closest friend made his choice violent. And when the new leader of the Renai initiated fire, you better bet your head the rest of his subordinates were going to go into war with you.

The R.U. Assault team charged forward with Aaron leading the fires. I cracked my knuckles and swiftly slid to the side of the crowd, ducking a fast, lethal bullet and punching two women in the guts as I advanced. We can't reason with them, I thought grimly as I resorted to my gun at last, Shoot everyone in your path.

Hundreds of shots fired every two seconds as moans and snaps replaced the once audible heavy breathing and loud footsteps. I heard the back-lines reloading constantly, and was always impressed with how long the front-lines could hold out in contrast. As dirty as it sounds, pools of blood began collecting on the ground rapidly. Every skid and every fall spread the red like a wildfire on ground. Soon, everyone was engulfed in that fire. Blood splattered our suits, our arms, our guns, our throats. Broken shards of glass and metal threatened to peel our skin off with a single gash. Our ears became deaf, and we could only rely on our vision to see where and what to do. While my eyes, and the snipers that trained in the same occupation as me, easily scouted out the Renai's uniform in a quarter of a second, it soon became a slight struggle for the rest. I feared shooting our own agents as well, as much as I feared not knowing why we were shooting, and I avoided firing blindly as best I could, though my skills have been polished up pretty well on the last few missions I've been on for hand-to-hand combat.

Little did I know my next target would trigger me again. My breath hitched as I laid eyes upon the woman I knew, yet I still managed to pull the trigger and aim steady for her chest before she could grab my sore arms. At this close range, the bullet-proof suit would not work this time.

Like it had last time.

The tables have turned.