Ch. 4: The First Goodbye

~SONG: UNJUST LIFE (ANGEL BEATS OST)~

I opened the door a crack, light streamed into the room as it focused on Nay-Lee's sleeping face. I opened the door slowly to make sure it wouldn't squeak. I tiptoed over to my dresser and I pulled out some grey sweatpants and a black hoodie. I put on my pink slippers and quietly exited the room and shut the door slowly and carefully behind me so I wouldn't wake Nay-Lee.

Rin waited outside. "You can dress in the dark? I'm impressed." he said.

I heard my stomach growl and sighed. "Christ I hadn't eaten anything all day." I said.

Rin's face lit up. "I'll cook you something!" He said eagerly.

"What? Er- I mean um... oh-kay?" I said with shock.

We walked down to the kitchen and I sat and watched as Rin started to make what I assumed was curry.

I felt ashamed. Asami and Nay-Lee have spent two years trying to teach me 'the culinary arts' (aka cooking) and even then and after I couldnt make scrambled eggs without burning them somehow. I even took cooking classes with Nay-Lee. I set the rice the on fire and blew up the microwave.

Asami told me that a woman needs to learn how to feed herself and her family. Though I wasn't too keen on the family thing, my only concern was feeding myself and possibly impressing guys with my amazing cooking which turned out to be a flunk. Also if I were to be a wife I wouldn't want to be one who can't cook, because I obviously can't get a job so being a stay at home wife would be my only option. And yet here I sit still not being able to cook.

But maybe Rin was just one of those guys who could cook, they just couldnt cook well. Yeah! Exactly. I'm not the shameful one, this guy just knows how to turn a stove on. The thought made me feel a little rudely exultant.

Rin turned around with the curry on his plate and placed it infront of me. Rin smiled at me eagerly and complacently and I smiled right back. He was expecting success, I was expecting failure. I got a spoonfull of it, I was perfunctory towards the food itself as I lifted it to my mouth, and was more concerned with what I would tell him after I ate it.

Obviously I need to be honest and tell him its not all that great. 'I mean the preparation was great but if I'm honest it didnt taste all that good, but you have potential! That's great, and that's why I'm going to teach you how to cook!' yes, I'll say exactly that. I'll let him down easy and be a hero to all culinary kinds by helping this poor unfortunate young man to become one of my greatest protégés ever to exist.

I, Air Yagami, will be the greatest-

...The curry. As soon as it landed on my tongue all my thoughts and my exultation disappeared.

I sighed disappointedly.

"Something wrong? Is it the curry? Is it bad?" Rin asked concerned.

I shook my head slowly and sighed again. "Its...its amazing." I admitted reluctantly. Shame, shame, and more shame. Shame. He can cook better than I can. 100x better. So much for helping the culinary less-fortunates. I dont know what I was thinking, I can barely turn the stove on.

"Really? Thanks!" Rin said with a big smile. "But then why do you have that look on your face?"

"Because," I said. "You can cook better than I can." I finished the last few spoonfulls of curry.

Rin laughed.

"Whatever! I'm going to bed." I said laying the dish in the sink after rinsing it off.

I walked down the hall with Rin close behind me.

"Goodnight, Air." He said as he opened his door.