Ch. 20: Part 2 of 2 - How Air Discovered Her Flames

I'm TOTALLY posting this WAAAAY before I thought I would so Point out any errors if you see them because this is literally the rough draft and I hadn't edited this chapter since I wrote it. Really appreciate it.

~E

---------------------------------------------------------------------

~SONG: CLOSE TO YOU - SUNG BY V FLOWER~

**AIR'S POV**

I guess this is it then... I thought to myself nervously. I suppose I couldn't push back the memory forever.

I'm about to re-experience that day.

                                                          ******************************           

Tears trickled down my face as I adjusted my crooked headband. I stared down at my sneakers, rustling the grass under my shoes as I dragged my feet. I wiped my nose with the side of my hand and reached up to lightly brush my fingers over the cuts and bruises on my face. I winced in pain at the stinging from the cuts. My right ankle ached the entire time I walked home but when there was a sharp stabbing pain in it I sat down on the grass to take a breather. I looked at the disgusting bruise on my right ankle. It made even more tears flow out.

"I hate everyone in that damned school." I mumbled to myself. My face, my legs, my ankles, my shoulders, my arms. They were really thorough this time. I can usually hold my own in a fight but what happens when twenty— give or take— people started ganging up on me? I get beat the fuck up, that's what happens. I've handled ten kids at once... but not twenty. I've never faced twenty all at once.

I noticed my house wasn't too far so I decided that I'd had a long enough break. I stood up slowly, trying not to put weight on my right ankle and foot, and brushed off the back of my dress.

"You did your best, Air." I told myself. I did do my best. Against twenty people? I did better than best. They got me pretty bad but I knocked a few of them out, and at the very least every single one of them has at least one permanent mark. That's pretty good. Though to begin with, I probably shouldn't have been as aggressive as I was.

I walked passed our house and into the nearby church, I walked through big doors to see Asami kneeling in front God's portrait at the front of the room.

"Asami." I called in a flat voice.

"Can't talk right now, Air, I'm with God." Asami murmured.

I sighed and walked back to our house. I tossed my back pack on the couch and was heading to first aid kit when Asami burst through the door.

"Hold on a minute!" Asami said, checking her watch. "Shouldnt you be in fifth period right now?!"

"Shouldn't you be with God right now?" I countered, wiping the tears from my face.

I limped into the kitchen and reached for the first aid kit that sat on top of the refrigerator.

Asami furrowed her brow. "What the hell...?" She trailed off, walking towards me. She roughly held my chin, her thumb pressed into the bruise on my jaw and I flinched.

"Ow!" I hissed.

"Oh dear girl, what in hell happened to you?" She asked. "Those bruises, scratches, and cuts. What—?"