Chapter Fourteen

TAEHYUNG

Her voice is like a song in my ears; playing over and over again. Oh, how I miss her and Sul Hee. I sit by the couch, my thoughts occupied by Kleah. My fingers graze upon the ring on my ring finger. I wonder if she noticed that I've wore it. It begins to rain again. My house is quiet, grandma has fallen asleep and I just sit here, staring at the television.  The sounds of raindrops hitting the zinc roof makes me want to snuggle and sleep.

I used to love this kind if weather but when I left my family I begin to despise it. I feel lonely on my bed, missing those times that Sul Hee lay between me and Kleah, our hands locked together and we sleep. The rain was like music to our ears; a lullaby that sways us to sleep. The clock strikes 11.45PM, I lay down couch, deciding to just sleep here although I know by the morning, I'd have a back ache. I pull the quilt on me turn off the lamp above my head.

I miss holding them in my arms. I want to go back to them. Alot may think that I take this as a game; in which when I lose I leave and when I felt like coming back, I come back. Frankly, no. I've realized everything. I always pointed out Kleah's mistakes yet, I give no concern on looking and fixing my own mistakes. I'm a fool. The rain gets stronger, cooling the living room. My senses slowly drift away as my eyes drop to sleep.

+ + +

I bend my aching back alittle and head to the kitchen when I hear some aluminium kitchen wares clunking. Grandma is cooking breakfast. I greet her good morning and grab a glass of water. I step out of the kitchen to the backyard. The rain had stopped. The sun shine frantically above the sky though small pools on water remain on the ground. Some leaves and flower still moist.

Birds chirping and the slight blow of the wind. I gulp the water in my glass and notice grandma packing some foods she's cooking. There was three huge tupperwares prepared beside the stove while she stirs the soup and rushes to the oven as it makes a ding sound. She leaves the one she's doing first and pulls out two trays of chocolate brownies from the oven. A red silk cloth rests on the table.

"Halmoni, why are there so many foods?" I ask her but she doesn't answer. She just looks at me with a smile. The wrinkles under her eyes also stretching as her lips does. She turns off the part of stove where she cooked the soup and taked two bowls. I rush to help her but she slaps my hand away.

"Just sit down there." She demands. I back away and sit down as she places a bowl of rice and seaweed soup infront of me. She does the same on her place then covers the two tupperwares and wrapping them with the red cloth. "Now, eat up."

Our breakfast is as quiet as an abandoned cathedral until we finished. I insist to wadh the plates but grandma pushes me away from the sink and begins washing. Grandma looks at me and points the tupperware she wrapped. "Give that to your daughter and Kleah."

"Eh?" Did I actually hear her right? How'd she know Kleah's here?

"I saw her at the store a few days ago now go and give that to her." She says, answerig the question in my head and pushes me out of the kitchen. I sigh and get to the shoe rack and put on my shoes before I head out. I'm suppose to clean the guest room today. Eomma and Appa ara coming. I walk along the quiet streets. Most people are still asleep. The sky is clear and shows no signs of a rainy weather today.

Birds chirp as they flew above the sky and some just rest on the tree branch. I turn to my left and continue to walk until I reach the brown gates. I don't want to press the door bell since I'm scared it might be Sul Hee who might open it. I don't have the courage to face my daughter for a reason and that is; I've been a bad father to her. I decide to call Kleah and I fish my phone from my pocket.

I search for her number on my contact list and before I can press the call button, the gate opened, evinces Kleah.

"Good morning, Daeg---oh my gosh!" She backs away as she sees me. She looks at me wide eyed and gulps. "What are you doing here this early?"

"Halmoni told me to give you this." I say and hand over the packed foods. She looks at me haltingly then hesitantly takes the pack from me. I insert back my phone inside my pocket.

"Thank you...but Halmoni knows I'm here?" She asks. I nod my head and I know she's going to ask how so I tell her beforehand. She gives a nod of understanding and wraps her arms around the bag.

"Have you...um...eaten your..uh...uh breakfast?" She asks, looking away from me as she speaks. She hasn't changed. The same Kleah who stutters and looks away when shy or embarrassed. I smile at her pink cheeks and wave my hand.

"I already did and even if I haven't, I can't join anyway. I have to finish some chores at home." I say and prepare to leave. "I'll get going."

I no longer wait for her response and walk home. I saunter, feeling the cold air brushing against my face until I hear heavy pants and footsteps behind me. I halt and turn my back and saw Kleah approaching.

"Where do you live?" She pants. She ran all the way to ask me that?

"I can't tell you." I shake my head. She gives a frown and sigh.

"You can't tell me why you're here and now you can't even tell me where you live?" She questions.

"Now that's where you're wrong." I say and caress her cheek with my index and middle finger. I notice her stiffen. "I said I can always show you why I'm here."