Chapter One

"Ally, I told you. She really does like him, but she just won't admit it to herself," Noelle explained to me for the billionth time in hopes I'd want to watch the show with her.

"I know, I know, but we're going into high school. Aren't we too old for this?"

She gasped. "You are never too old for the Teen Titans!"

I laughed as she started singing along to the theme song again. Noelle had been my best friend for years. I remembered when she moved into town 6 years ago. She was so shy and so quiet, but now I couldn't get her to shut up even if I tried. Noelle and I are pretty much the opposite. I was still pretty quiet, but Noelle was the class clown. She wants to go out and do things all the time. I just want to stay home and binge watch a new show. Usually I can get her to stay in with me. She's the pickiest eater in the world and I'm always trying to get her to eat new food. And our taste in men, so different we'll never ever have to fight.

"Anyways Noelle, are you excited for Freshman year," I almost squeaked. I couldn't help, but get so excited. We were finally going to high school.

"Yes and no," she stood up going to my closet.

"Why no?" I asked leaning against my door.

"Everything changes in high school, what if we change?" she looked at my clothes.

"Noelle, we aren't changing. You're my best friend and you're not losing me," I stepped in smiling.

She looked at me, "but what if I'm changing already and you don't like it?"

"Noelle, what do you mean?" I stepped forward placing my hands on her shoulders.

She looked at me for a moment and before I could think she backed me against the wall and her lips were on mine. My eyes flew up as her lips moved against mine. I didn't know what to do at first, but I started to feel my body give in and kiss her back. I'd kissed a lot of boys, but Noelle's lips were by far the best. They were soft and intense. I swear I almost felt a little spark till my mind snapped me back. I pushed her away looking scared.

"Noelle," was all I could manage as I stood there.

"I'm sorry," she stuttered. "I just....I've been thinking about you a lot lately. I don't know what it all means, but I think I like you as more than a friend."

"Noelle, I'm not a lesbian," I stated matter of factly.

She laughed, "your lips said otherwise."

"I kissed you and it doesn't mean anything," I turned out of my closet and went to my bed.

"Ally please, just give it a chance," she begged.

"No! I'm not starting my freshman year off as a lesbian! I want to be normal in this damn town!" I rolled over to the side of my bed.

"Ally, please just," I didn't let her finish.

"Leave now!" I curled up to my pillow.

I could hear her starting to sniffle and it took everything in me not to roll over and hug her. I didn't want to hurt her, but I wasn't a lesbian. I know I wasn't. Even if I was I could never admit it. My mom was so backwoods that it was engraved in me to find a good man and marry with children. That was my life. Noelle's parents were so liberal and free. They pretty much told her to do what she wanted and she never abused it.

"Goodbye Ally," she spoke through sobs.

Before I could turn around she was gone. I'd hurt my best friend and I didn't know how to fix it. Worse it scared me what school would be like. What if she doesn't forget it? What if she doesn't forgive me? What if I give in? I didn't want to know the answers. I just wanted to go to school.

Little did I know that her goodbye meant forever.

***3 years later***

"We're seniors now girls, it's our time!" Megan shouted in the middle of the hall.

I laughed pulling her fist down. "Calm down dammit. I'd rather not get detention the first day."

I looked forward and saw Sadie running toward us. When she finally made it to us she was breathing heavy.

"Sadie calm down and tell me what's up," I laughed.

"She's back!" she breathed.

"Who? Mrs. Crenshaw? I thought she retired," Megan started looking around.

"No," she leaned closer to me, "Noelle."

My heart stopped and my knees buckled. Noelle was back.