t e n

The marching band sounded out the entire football pitch as the cheerleader's waved their pom pom's like this was the most exciting event to happen all year. The flood lights lit up the entire area yet the sky was still a beautiful blanket of darkness above. As the bleachers began to fill up with vibrant looking students, I scanned the seats for an empty space. That's when my eyes landed on the very top row. Peter sat in a blue sweater, his brown hair slightly tousled as he messed with some settings on his camera.

Walking up the edge, I passed through the seats to get to the one next to him.

His face stilled as he looked at me. "Violet, you're here." He said as if surpised to see me.

Pulling out my laptop, I pulled up a fresh document to begin typing, trying not to notice his fixed gaze.

"Aren't I supposed to be?" my mouth curved up into a smile.

"No, I mean yes! I mean... you weren't in school today. I didn't think you'd show up." He flustered.

"I had a rough night. I guess I just wanted to get out the house for a bit." I assumed Peter understood as he didn't say another word. Yet, as I began typing, his eyes averted down to my hands, as if they were immensely interesting.

To break it off, I looked up at him only to spot a small bruise on his cheekbone. Without thought, I reached my hand up and brushed my fingers over it softly. "Is Flash still doing that stuff to you?"

He quickly shook his head and looked back down to his camera. "I...I fell." Withdrawing my hand I decided to leave it at that.

I guess me and Peter would never really be that close. I certainly kept things from him, but I figured I'd never really know what secrets he was hiding.

After a few moments, the game started to which the crowds were getting louder and my fingers were typing faster. I was no sports expert, but I was decent at describing what I saw and that would have to do. Peter was in his element, snapping all the best shots at all the best moments.

During that half time break, I began making some amendments to the writing, but I looked up at the sound of a click to my right. The camera was focused on me as Peter squinted into the lens.

"What are you doing?" I held up my hand to cover my face. He continued to click and cheekily grin as he did so.

"Peter, stop!" I giggled as he moved the camera exaggeratingly close, hearing his soft chuckle.

Eventually he lowered the lens, giving a toothy grin to which I mirrored. If I had blinked, I would have missed him shooting a glance down at my lips. My cheeks flushed deeply, which was odd. I don't think I'd ever thought of Peter in that way.

Then the claxon sounded, indicating that the second half of the game was starting, so thankfully we both faced forward and continued to be consumed in the intense game. Saved by the bell, I guess.

After the game was finished, and we packed our equipiment away, Aunt May had come to pick us both up. Apprently she had prior arranged it with my mom. The car ride was particulary silent. Of course I engaged in the general chit chat with May, but I most of the time just zoned out, lost in my own thoughts. I couldn't see Peter this way; it was way too weird. At least it got my mind of the events from last night.

Let's just say that night I got a much better sleep than the last, as it was filled with blissful dreams and a whirlwind of poignant thoughts.

~

Friday night had approached. The rest of the school week was full of bland memories that have no desire of being repeted. But that Friday evening was one to be remembered.

Aunt May and mom had set each other up with blind dates, and they were all going out together like a double date kind of thing. I couldn't have been happier. When I left for the institute, I was afraid my mom would never move on, but to see her strap her heels on and work that deep red lipstick was a hopeful sign of her having a fresh start.

After about an hour of their departure, I decided to go up to the building's roof with a rolled-up blanket and a bottle of Coca Cola. When I had the time, I found it miraculously beautiful to sit underneath the glimmering stars occasionally, away from the bustle of the world. Of course, this was still one of the most hectic cities in the world, but being so high up almost made the noise disappear. Laying down the blanket, I leaned against the wall and hugged my knees, letting the cool night breeze swim through my loose hazel locks, as if it took my troubles along with it.

Then, an interruption followed.

- Peter's P.O.V. –

Since May was out tonight, I finished my patrol a little later than I usually did. I didn't exactly do anything groundbreaking tonight. Returned a lost dog, stopped a guy from stealing a candy bar.

Hey! I don't hit the crime jackpot everyday.

Swinging through the night sky, building to building, I stopped at my own.

Even though May was out tonight, I still needed to be careful when I got in, just so the neighbours didn't suspect anything.

So I crawled up the west side of the building, then jumped onto the roof landing light on my feet. I stretched into a yawn behind my mask. It's not only been a long day, but a hell of long week.

Just as I was about to lower myself down to my bedroom window, I felt another presence on the roof with me.

Looking over my shoulder, I saw the girl who had consumed my entire thoughts for the past few days for many reasons.

Violet Larosa...the mutant.