t h i r t y t h r e e

I took in a deep breath before my next words. No matter how many times I had gone through the conversation in my head, it was extremely difficult to say it out loud.

"I'm leaving."

"Wh...what do you mean leaving?"

"I have to go back to the institute, Peter."

He pulled his mask off to reveal a look of hurt and confusion on his soft features.

"I don't know what's going on with my powers, they're controlling me."

"When are you going?"

"Tomorrow."

He huffed and stood up to pace around the roof.

I stood up and followed him. "I didn't plan this, I-" I stopped talking at the sound of multiple police sirens and speeding cars below. There was a screeching crash followed by a blazing fire starting from the vehicle.

"Um..." I looked at Peter who kept his head down, tightly gripping the mask in his hand. "Is that something to be concerned about?"

I hated this. I couldn't read him. I'd rather he yelled at me and told me exactly what he felt than being silent like he was.

After a second of uncomfortable silence, he slipped his mask on and stood at the edge of the building. Right before he was ready to take off, he turned to look at me.

"You're leaving." He voice sounded so delicate like it could crack any second. It broke my heart.

I nodded, trying to blink away the tears in my eyes.

With that, he swung out into the distance, leaving me alone with my thoughts.

He was gone for a good while, causing me to pace around and run my fingers through my hair, trying my best not to cry.

It didn't work. Tears were streaming down my cheeks at the thought of leaving him, all of this behind. But as I heard the swinging of webs nearby, I quickly pulled down the sleeve of his sweater to wipe away the tears.

I hated this because I was hurting him. I had to go, it was my problem, and he was feeling the consequences of that. Part of me wished I hadn't come back from the institute. He wouldn't be dragged into this mess and this wouldn't be so damn hard.

He landed on the roof breathing heavily.

"You're really leaving?"

"Peter..." I started, not quite knowing what to say next.

"Hey, maybe I could come with you! I mean, I'm not a mutant but I could fit right in and--"

I shook my head. "Your city needs you here. May needs you here."

"But I need you." His voice trembled as he pulled off his mask, revealing his watery eyes.

My breath hitched in my throat as I held my head in my hands, "Oh god," I whispered, "I promised myself I wasn't going to cry." Tears streaming down my cheeks.

"I thought I'd never had to be away from you again."

"I wouldn't be going if I didn't have to, trust me."

Another few sirens caught my attention, spotting the flashing lights in the streets below, but Peter's eyes didn't move from me.

"You wanna deal with that first?" I sniffled.

"This one can wait."

"You-you're not angry, are you?"

He half smiled, "I could never be angry with you." He sighed, "I know you have to go, I just wish it didn't have to be like this."