t h i r t y t w o

To my surprise, our sandwiches were delivered to the door. Apparently, the guy owed Peter a favour.

So as we ate and laughed about that one time Peter got a part time job as a pizza delivery boy. But he was always late being the infamous Spider-Man. So naturally, he was fired after two days on the job.

Once again I collapsed backwards onto his bed, the pillow underneath my head smelling like his pine scented shampoo.

"I'm so full." He groaned, falling backwards onto me.

"You're so heavy!" I laughed, trying to shove his body off.

"It was a big sandwich." He mumbled, not moving an inch as I struggled.

After snickering, he rolled off and shuffled so that he was lying next to me. We lay for a while. My thoughts suddenly flooded with sadness. I realised that as soon as time stood still, realisation hit me like a brick.

"So, you're not going on patrol tonight?" I asked, to distract myself from the haunting thoughts of me leaving tomorrow.

"I thought you wanted to hang out."

"I do. But we can hang out and keep an eye on the city at the same time."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, like you have powers right? There's a certain responsibility that comes with that."

He laughed. "I'm think there's a better way of phrasing that sentence."

"You know what I mean." I rolled my eyes.

So Peter grabbed his suit before throwing me his deep navy sweater. It was too risky to get to my room and get my own disguise without causing suspicion among my mom and aunt May.

Thankfully the sweater hung loose on me, so that when I pulled the hood up it covered my face enough.

I peeked from under the hood as his silhouette stood in front of the window, as he pulled the skin tight mask over his brown curls. I took in his every feature. The back of his neck, the flexing muscles in his back as he moved, the way he cracked his neck and shook his arms loose to get ready to swing. I took it all in, like I wanted to remember every single thing.

"Ready?" He turned, holding out his gloved hand for me to take.

Grasping his hand, I nodded as he led me out onto the fire escape. He pulled me against him by my waist and swung off as I gripped on tightly.

After less than a minute, we arrived on top of one of the tallest buildings in Queens. I peered over the edge, watching the little dots of light move through the streets and flicker against the mirrored buildings and yellow taxi cabs. It was beautiful, like looking at the night sky, but from above.

I turned to see Peter doing the same, leering over the side of the building, but much closer than I did.

"I've got a pretty good eye from up here." He nodded and sat on the edge motioning for me to join him.

I placed my hands into the front pocket of the sweater, snuggling into the soft material that gave off the familiar scent of him.

For a moment, we sat shoulder to shoulder, looking out at the sparkling country jungle, utterly comfortable in each other's silence. Until I felt him lightly chuckle.

"Y'know, before you came back I used to sit up here for hours. I felt the best I've ever felt, sitting in this suit, doing what I do."

I glanced from under the hood, the city lights reflecting from the whites of his eyes.

"But now," He looked at me," I know that this is the happiest I could be."

He leaned forward, his forehead coming into contact with mine. "You're my happiness, Violet." He whispered.

Within the sweater pocket, my fingertips tingled and glowed for a quick second. Not like the pain I was used to, not like I was in danger and it was trying to protect me. They tingled with contentment.

I groaned, "You can't say stuff to me like that with your mask on."

"Why not?" He asked.

I lifted up the bottom half of his mask just before his nose, and placed a soft kiss on his lips. I felt them move in response against my own before we pulled apart.

"That's why." I said, covering up the smile on his lips by pulling his mask back down.

We both averted our gaze forwards again, and I noticed his legs swinging slightly as the dangled from the side of the building.

"Stop smiling, Peter." I grinned.

"What? How do you know I'm still smiling?" He sounded astonished, but clearly smiling as he said so.

"I can hear it." I chuckled, shoving him slightly with my shoulder, "Dork."

"It's not my fault you have the lips of an angel. Not to mention how freaking adorable you look in my sweater."

"I'm sorry, I don't remember ordering an extra cheesy pizza." I laughed.

"Don't make me web your mouth shut, because I'll gladly-"

"Shh!" I placed my hand over his mouth. "Hear that?" We both turned to the left of the city landscape, hearing faint police sirens in the distance.

Peter's masked eyes focused in and then out. "They've got him. Guys obviously not an expert in car theft, he was obeying the speed limit with the cops on his tail."

"How can you see that from here?"

"These lenses are great for optical zoom, Mr. Stark wasn't playing around." He said excitedly. "And Karen tells me the rest, she has access to the police scanner radios."

"Hm, what else does Karen tell you?" I spoke sarcastically.

"N-nothing, she's just a machine, and trust me her voice had nothing on yours." He spoke frantically.

"I'm kidding, Peter!" I couldn't help but laugh at his worry.

"Don't do that to me." He wrapped an arm around me, pulling me closer to his side as I leaned into him.

"I'll miss this." I hummed, feeling amazingly relaxed in his arms.

"What?" His voice dropped.

"I wish this didn't have to end." My words escaped me before I realised that I was saying them out loud. I let in a sharp gasp, my eyes widening as I felt his body stiffen. Peter sat up straight to get a better look at my face.

"Why is this ending, Vi?" He asked.