t w e n t y

I'd never felt more lost than I did the next morning at school. I felt like the new kid all over again. Silently approaching my locker, I constantly peered from the corner of my eye for him.

To be honest, even I was surprised that I managed to get out of bed this morning after a pretty much sleepless night. But I wasn't going to skip on school for one guy.

Eventually, a familiar brown-haired boy was soon at his locker a few feet from mine. With a quick glance, I couldn't help but notice how his eyes looked sore and red; although mine probably looked ten times worse for all the crying I did.

He's eyes met mine and once he realised that I was looking at him, he shut his locker and walked up to me.

"Violet," his voice urged, but before he could get any closer, I turned my back and strode quickly down the hallway, getting lost in the sea of students and as far away from him as I could, even though it pained me to do so.

Throughout my days classes, I avoided him quite well by sitting as far away as possible. But that didn't mean I concentrated any better. I couldn't seem to get all the thoughts out of my head. I was still trying to comprehend everything I found out last night.

Then at lunch I took my usual spot next to Michelle. Peter and Ned soon joined a few seats down. As usual, the news has to have some coverage on the guy in tights.

"Some people are calling him the greatest hero of our generation. What did we ever do to deserve him?" I scoffed maybe a little too loudly at the reporter's words.

Michelle shot me a confused glance. "I thought you had a crush on that guy." She nodded towards the tv.

"Yeah well, now I think he's an ass." I said loud enough in hopes that he would hear, and it looks like he did as Ned gave him a pitiful look.

The news reporter's voice continued, "but during an armed bank robbery in Queens last night, our favourite webslinger was no where to be seen."

Then I began to think that maybe I was being a little harsh on him, but that didn't stop me pretending he didn't exist for the rest of the day.

After school I handed in the article I wrote from Thursday's basketball game, but the dounchebag head editor wouldn't let me submit it.

"Violet, I need the article with the photos from the game." He handed the paper back to me.

"But I don't have the photos, Peter has them." I whined.

"Well you have to get them off him, like you do every week." He looked confused, probably wondering why such a simple task was suddenly so difficult for me. "Don't you guys like live in the same building?"

I sighed and said I'd get them to him by the end of the week. God knows how I would.

~

That evening I stayed in my room, sitting on my bed. And for a while, I looked at the web on the wall. I don't know why I hadn't taken it down, but it was mesmerising in the weirdest way.

Then my mom came in, her eyes following my gaze to the wall.

"Sweety, what do you want for din- that's a big web." Her eyes widened.

"Yeah," I spoke in the same monotone dull voice I'd used all week, like I was dead inside.

"Doesn't it creep you out that there's a huge spider in here somewhere?"

"Maybe we should call an exterminator. Kill the little insect."

"What's gotten into you?" She placed her hands on her hips.

"Nothing." I mumbled.

She was about to say something in return, as if she knew exactly what was going on. But she didn't. instead she told me that dinner would be ready soon.

Once I was left with my own company again, I charged towards the far wall and ripped the webbing off, getting frustrated when the substance was stuck all over my hands. This stuff was gross but the sight of it only gave me reminders I didn't want to have.

And I would be lying if I said I didn't shed a tear that night. Its difficult when you're laying in bed with nothing but darkness and your own thoughts.

~

For the rest of the week, Peter and I had not spoken a word to each other. We attended classes and came home. It was one of the most depressing weeks of my life. I hardly smiled, I was slacking on my school work and I didn't leave the apartment unless I had to.

But the photos were due, and I didn't want to slack anymore than I already was.

Friday evening I sent a small, brief text to Peter for mandatory purposes: 'I need the pictures from the basketball game.'

Then after leaving it for an hour, I sent another: 'Can you send over the pictures?'

All the whilst I was almost dying at the math homework that was set today. I didn't understand anything on the page and I'd been staring at it for a good two hours. I missed how before I could just message Peter and he'd be at my door within seconds, but there was no reason for me to expect that anymore.

After waiting about thirty more minutes with still no reply, I grew aggravated. It was nearing to midnight and I needed the pictures by tomorrow. Yes, I had an entire week to get a hold of these pictures, but I chose the last day to get them.

So with a huff, I shrugged a sweater over my tank top and sweat pants before crossing the hall to the Parker's apartment. For the first time this week, I had to force a minimal smile on my face for Aunt May who answered the door.

"Hey May, is Peter in?"