t w e n t y s i x

My heart leaped as the men shot up from their seats with the upmost angriest of expressions. I felt Peter's body stiffen as he stepped in front of me.

He seemed to spot the guy that almost killed him the other night, because he was looking directly at the man perched in the corner of the room.

"If you could kindly hand over the extra-terrestrial weapons and we'll be on our merry way." Peter chimed, the men looked to see if he was joking and I was so close to face palming at his idiocy. It constantly amazed me how calm and collected he could be behind that mask while my eyes landed on the few hands around the room that clutched tightly on what seemed to be guns in their pockets.

"Hey kid," the large man in the corner stepped closer into the room, bringing his raging eyes into the light. "I thought I made it clear the other night that I don't want to be messed with."

"Yeah, I didn't seem to catch that." He replied in a careless manner. All I could think was Peter was going to get us both killed.

At this, the man seemed to let out a growl and reached for his own gun on the table but Peter caught on also and webbed his hand to the wall behind.

At this movement, all the other men immediately got their weapons out and fired at us. The shots barely missed me so I charged towards a few of them sending blasts in their directions knocking two of them to the ground.

Peter swung onto the wall and clung onto it as he shot web grenades into the centre of the room.

As I watched, for the small moment I was distracted and trying to compose myself, but all of a sudden felt an arm lock around my neck. I tried to push the arm away but it only secured tighter around my throat.

Then I felt it release and the guy was thrown onto the floor with force. I coughed and regained my breath as a figure in red stood millimetres from me.

"Are you okay?" He whispered behind the mask, placing his hands on my shoulders. He instantly removed one hand and shot a web blast behind him, not taking his eyes off me, only to hit one of the approaching men in the face.

I nodded hastily and returned to face the oncoming trouble. Half the guys managed to stay down either unconscious or webbed, but there were still three remaining including the main guy who looked as furious as ever.

Some time passed and I was loving every moment of it. I had managed to single handedly knock out two of the guys leaving the ring leader to Peter. After a clear defeat the man reluctantly told us that all the weapons he possessed were in his back closet, which to our surprise they were.

With the equipment in our hands and the police on their way, our jobs were effectively done. We made our way out the back door.

"I've gotta say, I'm very impressed." Peter remarked as we walked side by side down the darkened street, a light breeze flowing in the air.

I pulled down my mask from over my mouth, finding it incredibly stuffy.

"I was pretty awesome, wasn't I?" I honestly had just missed how good it felt to use my powers like that.

He threw his head back with a sigh, "Y'know, we could be home in two seconds, if we swung there." He said for the third time. The first two times he suggested it I denied it out of fear of heights, but I eventually gave in.

"Fine, but don't blame me if I manage to drop these things." I looked down at the small amount of guns I cradled in my arms in comparison to how many Peter was easily holding.

"No problem." He took the weapons from my arms and webbed them up along with the ones he was holding, creating some kind of bag which he slung over his shoulder.

He then held out his arm to which i reluctantly stepped closer and allowed him to snake his arm around my waist, my arms locking around his neck. I didn't want to think about what it felt being this close to him again, suddenly wishing I'd kept my mask on to hide my blush.

Without warning I was being swung into the sky, immediately closing my eyes to which I could hear only the familiar thwip and the rush of the wind. Nevertheless, Peter was correct about one thing; we literally arrived back at our building within seconds.

We landed on my fire escape where I quietly slid open my window and climbed inside, pulling the scarf from around my neck and throwing it onto the floor. Peter sat perched on the window in a squatted position as he pulled his mask off with a sigh of relief.

"Hey, Vi," Peter glanced at me with his warm brown eyes, the humorous exterior vanishing with his mask. "thanks for looking out for me tonight."

A small smile reached my lips as I approached the window, looking up at his ruffled and slightly matted hair. "I actually had a lot of fun."

"Yeah me too." he chuckled.

I hesitated before my next words, "It was just nice to be able to talk to you again. I mean, it's still gonna take some time, but I feel like we someday we can do that again. Just talk, as friends."

"I'd like that." His expression was difficult to read, "but I guess it doesn't help that I'm utterly in love with you."

I froze and said nothing, thinking that I might have imagined the words, but his gaze remained intently on me.

"I'm in love with you." he breathed.

I stepped in front of the window, cupped his face in my hands, brought it close and crashed my lips against his. His response was immediate as he moved his lips hungrily against mine.

Having to tiptoe to reach him, I placed my hands on his shoulders and pulled him forward. He stepped down from the ledge into my room, his lips never leaving mine.

We kissed each other like we never wanted to part and he held me like he'd never let me go. I moved back until I felt my bed behind me, and without thinking I fell back onto it, pulling him down with me.

Peter laughed into the kiss, making me smile as he firmly yet passionately kissed me. His lips parted from my mouth and trailed across my jaw down to my neck as I ran my hands through his soft brown locks. His touch felt incredible, exhilarating and electrifying.

"I'm in love with you too." I whispered as he pressed light kisses onto my collarbone. He pulled his lips from my neck and looked down at me, as if his ears were playing tricks on him. He looked at a loss of words, like the world stood still for a moment, so I reached up and kissed him softly, feeling his beating heart under my palm on his chest.

And then, he kissed me like no one had ever kissed me before.