t w e l v e

"And once again, New York's favourite webslinger was there to help." The news reporter's voice echoed the crowded cafeteria; yet I was probably the only one paying attention to the small tv screen on the wall.

Opening a back of chips, my eyes remained glued on the television, watching the footage of Spider-Man effortlessly swing through the city.

"Our society is falling apart." Michell spoke next to me, her attention plastered to a book in her hands.

Michelle and I had a very complex yet meaningless relationship. At lunch, or in our mutual classes she would come and sit next to me. Sometimes never saying a word, and other times offering a small and significant input. In a way, we were very close friends, but we'd barely ever had a real conversation that lasted more than two minutes.

"I kind of like him." Resting my face on my hand.

Then we returned to our mutual and comfortable silence. After a few minutes, Peter and his best friend Ned joined the table a few seats away from us.

"Wow," Michelle scoffed. "You've got a crush on Spider-Man."

~ Peter's P.O.V. ~

Me and Ned looked at eacither with wide eyes. I couldn't believe my ears; Violet had a crush on me! Well not me exactly, but it was me, she just didn't know it yet. It was a hell of a situation, sure, but awesome.

"Dude! She totally likes you." Ned said in a hushed tone.

I'd told him about pretty much everything that happened between Violet and me, both in and out of the red suit.

"You have to ask her out. Now's your chance." Ned insisted while biting into his sandwich.

Maybe it wasn't a completely ridiculous idea. I'd liked her for years, and now she had an interest. I don't know how much longer I could take pining over this girl without having the guts to do anything about it.

It sounds crazy, but I hated how easily I could talk to her behind the mask. But I deserved happiness, right?

If I was going to do this at all, I needed to do it as Peter and Peter alone; that was necessary.

I nodded. "I'll do it."

• a few minutes later •

My sweaty palms rested beside my lunch tray as I cleared my throat and glanced up nervously at the beautiful brunette at the end of the table.

"Violet." My voice croaked, and then my heart fell into my stomach when she shot a glance at me with those mesmerising orbs.

Oh god. What am I doing?

"Yeah, Peter?" She and Michelle rested their eyes on my frozen form, expecting some words to come out.

"Uh, I was just," I swallowed, feeling intimidated under both stares.

"He just wanted to..." Ned decided to jump in and help, but was also at a loss of words which only further confused the girls.

Michelle set down her book and directed her full attention onto me, a smile on her face as if the situation was somewhat amusing to her.

"It's this...I wanted to," Out of all the embarrassing moments I'd experienced in high school, this was up there in the records, so I decided to leave it at that before things got worse. "It's nothing."

"Alright." A small smile appeared on her face before she looked back at the tv, seemingly more interested in the guy in tights. This was beyond frustrating.

"You guys are losers." Michelle stated, returning to the world of her novel.

•A few hours later•

Sitting in math class that day, my mind was insanely distracted. About forty minutes into the class it became quiet and the teacher was occupied, I saw it as the perfect opportunity to attempt to ask again as she sat beside me.

Under contemplation, I turned to look at her only to see her lips mouthing something.

"Huh, what?" I mumbled, shaking out of my daze.

"I said I don't get this question." She pointed to a page in the textbook, keeping a hushed voice.

This was it, she was talking to me. It was time to ask. Spit it out, Peter!

"Litsten, I-"

"Shhh." She teacher hissed before returning to the black board, trying to enforce some kind of silent, self-reflective work upon us.

I continued in a low tone, "Maybe, you and I, well we could-"

"Oh!" She whispered, "I didn't see the decimal point." She chuckled, and then glanced up at the ring of the bell.

Ugh, perfect. Freaking perfect. And with an end to that pathetic attempt, she was out the door along with the rest of the class. It was so simple yet devastatingly impossible to ask Violet out. So I sat with my head on the table until I was the last one in the room. That michelle was right about something; I was a looser.

•later that evening•

"Okay, what's up with you." Aunt May set her fork down at the dinner table. "All evening you've been zoning out and mumbling words to yourself."

I sighed. If I could trust anyone with my problems it would be May; she always knew what was right even if I didn't like the sound of it.

"I just can't seem to get the words out, y'know? But I've rehearsed it a million times in my head." I rested my temple in my hands.

A small smile lifted May's face, "Sometimes it just takes literally thrity seconds of courage. Just pure guts and it'll all be worth it."

I nodded, still not fully conviced that I should go through with it.

"By the way, she came home about two hours ago." May tilted her head towards the front door. She knew, how could she know? Heck, what didn't she know. That was all it took before I was up on my feet and headed towards the door.

Stepping out into the hallway, I stood in front of her apartment door frantically fixing my hair. Taking one last deep breath, my fist tapped against the door three times.

"Hey." Violet opened the door, her beautiful smile destroying all my confidence, yet I still managed to speak the next sentence without a single stutter.

"Want to go on a date with me?"