t h i r t y f o u r

Violet's P.O.V

"Okay," My mom shut the trunk of the car, "I think that's everything."

The sun was barely risen in the sky and the city was mostly still asleep by the time I was ready to leave the next morning.

Each box and bag I took to the car, I deliberately looked away from the door opposite our own. I so badly wanted to see his face once more, but we'd already done our goodbyes. That was the plan.

Before getting in the car, I peered up at towering buildings around us. I smiled at how much trouble I'd be in if my mom found out how many of those roof tops I'd been on.

"Oh honey, you'll be back for the holidays." She said from the drivers seat as I finally got in.

"I guess so." I switched over to my favourite radio channel as we drove away from the bustling city.

A small pulsing began in my palm, which it was doing a lot of lately. Like a distant aching pain I kept pushing aside. It reminded me that I had no choice but to go back to the institute, for my own health and well-being.

"Isn't it crazy that I haven't reached my full potential yet?" I said, our stretching my hands and observing their detail.

"It is kind of exciting." Mom smiled, "I just hope you figure it out soon. So you can carry on living your life."

I glanced at her in adoration. I never appreciated how supportive she always was. There were so many kids at the institute who's parents despised them for their mutations, even disowned them.

"Me too, mom." I gave her a sweet smile, never feeling more determined to just make her proud.

~

Peter's P.O.V

The first thing I did when I woke up was sit up and reassure myself that I didn't dream last night. That she'd really left. My suspicions were confirmed when I saw my puffy eyes from all that crying like a baby last night.

"If you don't get your butt out of that bed in the thirty seconds I can guarantee you're going to be late." May pounded on the door.

"Alright, I'm up." I groaned. I could have easily stayed in bed all day, thinking what's the point of getting out if I can't see her today. Can't talk to her.

But I decided not to be pathetic for once in my life. She was gone, yeah. But our story wasn't ending there. I sure as hell wasn't letting her go that easily.

When I finally dragged my ass to school I immediately filled Ned in on everything that happened.

Well, not everything.

He got the 'She had to go back to her music school because of something to do with a scholarship for college' story.

"Man, that sucks." He shook his head as we walked to geometry.

"I'm holding up better than I thought." I pulled my backpack strap over my shoulder.

"But dude, she's gone." Ned said as if the most obvious thing in the world.

"She's not dead." I half-heartedly chuckled. "I don't know, I'm just feeling...hopeful, y'know?"

Ned sighed, "Wel I'm feeling anything but hopeful about this geometry quiz."

"You'll be fine." I pulled out a folded sheet of paper from my back pocket, handing it over to him. "This has enough on it to get you at least an 84."

Ned took it with a wide warm smile. "Wow, I wish I could grab Violet out of my back pocket to solve your problem." Ned laughed but dimmed down as I shot him a look.