e l e v e n

A familiar soft landing caught my attention as the man in blue and red spandex stood towering over me.

"You again." I grumbled. One of the very few people in New York who knew of my mutated blood and I had no idea what he looked like; for some reason that really got on my nerves.

"Y'know, you're like the first person I've met who doesn't really like my presence. People tend to love me around here." He stepped closer to where I was sat.

"What's your deal? I'm just going about my everyday life and you keep showing up out of nowhere. Aren't you supposed to be a city hero or something? Go out there and help the people who actually need help. I for one do not need saving."

"I know." He got up onto to the roof edge and lay down on the surface, putting his hands behind his head and crossing one leg over the other. I was so envious that he could do that without the fear of danger. "You were pretty badass the other night."

"So I guess you've figured out what I am." I rested my chin on the tops of my knees.

"A mutant." He said, retaining his unusually low voice. "I have some friends who are mutants; twins actually."

I have to admit, it was a sigh of relief. The last thing I wanted was for this guy to be some mutant killer, but he genuinely seemed nonchalant of the fact that I was one.

"I don't think I got your name." He pivoted his head to look at me with his large masked eyes.

"Violet." I said, taking a sip of my coke. I still didn't know how I felt about this spider kid, but he was honestly starting to grow on me. He just seemed like a normal guy. Maybe I had been a little too harsh. Never judge a book by its cover, right?

"Pretty name." He shifted so that he was looking up at the sky again.

"So do I get your name?"

"No." A short muffled laugh escaped his lips. "Not yet, anyway."

My eyebrows raised. "So eventually I'm going to know who's under the mask?"

"That depends."

"On what?"

After a momentarily pause he answered.
"On whether I trust you or not."

"That seems fair; but trust goes both ways."

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." He gestured a zip movement across his mouth.

"Although, you'd be a great asset to the Avengers."

"No thanks. I just about escaped the lure of the X-Men. I just want to be regular for a while."

Part of that was the truth. I guess a small part of me liked the combat and training side of my abilities. It was fun to kick some ass once in a while.

Spider-Man nodded in understanding. "So what exactly is it that you do?" For the first time, he seemed to almost relax his voice, slowly loosening the harsh deep one he had put on before.

"I shoot blasts from my hands." I said, tucking a strand of loose hair behind my ear.

"That's awesome!" He exclaimed, sitting in an upright position, turned to face me.

"I guess." The way he reacted reminded me of something so pure and childlike.

"Hit me." He sat up straight, broadening his shoulders. "C'mon, blast me. I can take it."

"Uh, no. I'm good." My lips stretched into a small smile.

"Hit me. I'll be fine, I've had much worse. Please? Just a light hit, nothing lethal." He rambled.

Throwing my head back at his words, I said, "Has anybody ever told you that you're incredibly annoying."

"All the time. C'mon Vi, don't be a wimp, I just want to know what it feels li-"

Out of irritation from the teen, I raised my hand and shot the lighteset blast into his chest, harldy putting any pressure into it. Then, like he was pushed, his bdoy fell backwards off the ledge of the bulidng.

"Oh my god." I gasped, rushing over to the edge, my heart beating rapidly; but my expression fell to one of pure annoyance once I looked over the towering edge to see him casually cligngling to the side of the bulidng.

"Gotcha." He laughed, shorting a web onto the roof so that he could pull himself back on.

"You're an idiot. That wasn't funny." I shoved his chest as he approached me. I know it was silly of me to worry for his life, considering he was both a stranger and a superhero, but god knows how many nightmares I've had of killing people with my powers.

"You gotta admit, it was kinda funny."

"Oh yeah? How would you like it if I fell off the edge of this building right now?" I ran a hand through my hair, regulating my breathing back to normal.

The masked man shook his head immedailty. "I wouldn't let that happen."

"I don't trust you enough to find out if that answer's true or not." I bent down, taking my blanket and bottle into my hands. "And with that, I'm off to bed." After the almost murder situation, I felt both exhausted and nauseated.

"Wait," he stopped me before I could make my way down the fire escape. "You come up here often?" he awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

I have to admit, it was a outlandish question, but I also had to admit, it was kind of nice talking to him, even if I had no idea who he was.

"I guess so?" I shrugged, insinuating that my appearances on the roof were nothing but spontaneous visits.

"Cool." He cleared his throat. "I'll see you soon, Violet."

"Sure, whatever." I grinned, but before I descended down the steps, I turned to look at the city hero one last time, only to find him punching the air with a little jump in his step.

"You alright there, Spidey?" I rasied my eyebrow, holding back a laugh as he froze and glanced at me over his shoulder.

"Uh yeah, yeah." If I could see under the mask, I'd like to bet that his face was bright red at that moment. Howver, to save him further humiliation, I responded with a smile; a genuine smile, at how sincerely normal this guy seemed.

"Night, Spidey." I said softly. No matter how condescending and hostile I acted in front of him, I couldn't help but look forward to our next encounter, hoping it wouldn't be too long away.