Chapter 10

"She's alive!" Perma's mother gasped, crying, "It must have been a combination of IceWing and MudWing features that saved her!"

     Suddenly, breaking the relief of the moment, Python swooped down and landed behind them.

      The MudWing lashed her tail, preparing to fight for her unconscious  daughter.

      "Don't fight," Bear said, "Let me talk to her."

       She protectively spread a buttermilk colored wing out in front of him, shaking her head as she spoke, "No, I cannot permit a-a dragonet to confront a-a member of the Eyes of Purity."

      "Please, she's my sister!" Bear pleaded.

        At that moment of mutual understanding passed through them, the common knowledge of the strength of a MudWing sibling bond.

       "Fine." she said, pulling away her wing, but staying alert and battle ready.

      Bear stepped up to his sister's mint cold stare, "Is this really what I've done to you?" he whispered.

       Python clenched and unclenched her brown talons, emotions building up behind her sage green eyes, silver mask glinting in the light of battle.

      Her jaw stiffened, there was obviously something she had wanted to tell her brother, but she couldn't seem to get the words out.

      "Python?" Bear tilted his head in concern, taking another step, small, closer.

      His umber eyes widened as Bear saw a small trickle of water drip from beneath the mask.

       "Python!" he gasped, running to his sister's side where she crumbled to the ground beneath his hazel wood colored wings.

       "I've rehearsed for so long what I wanted to say-" she sobbed, "-before I killed you," she was shaken by a rattling breath, "but now I realize-" she sniffed, "I am your sister, and a MudWing bond is something that should never be broken."

       "It's okay." Bear whispered, embracing his sister.

         "It's not okay!" Python cried, "I helped kill dragons, I can't believe I turned so-so vicious!"

     "I can still fix your face." Bear said quietly after a lot of silence.

       After crying silently for a lot more Python finally found herelf able to speak again,"I've lost more than flesh, Bear. Nothing can heal me now." she shook her head, "A dragon like me deserves much less to live than to be healed."