Chapter 18

Equinox sat outside, staring up at the night sky above from outside of her father and Gila's house after mostly everyone had gone to sleep.

It was quiet until a golden dragon came to sit beside her. With barely a small glance in his direction, she knew it was Sulfur.

"Hi." he said, breaking the silence of the night.

Equinox didn't say anything.

Sulfur sighed, shifting his barbless tail in the sand, "The stars are beautiful tonight, I guess."

"Probably not as beautiful as Mirage." Equinox muttered in retort.

Sulfur scratched at the ground with a smoke gray talon, unsure of what to say, "Hey, I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"You just figured that we would never see eachother again, so you fell in love with Mirage, is that it?" She knew what he was about to say by gazing into the near future.

Sulfur's mocha colored eyes strayed away from his ex, "Yeah, I guess."

"I get it," she said, "It makes sense, I'm more angry that you left us all without a thought for your girlfriend, and then on top of that came back all like, 'Oh, yeah this is Mirage, pretend for her that our relationship never happened.'"

Sulfur frowned harder.

"You're right." he whispered after a few minutes of silence.

"What?" Equinox was genuinely surprised.

"I shouldn't have treated you so selfishly." The immense feeling in his carob eyes sent chills down her spine, "But, what happened happened, and I love Mirage now."

"Okay," Equinox rose to her talons to walk back toward the house, "I appreciate the apology."

"Equinox, wait."

"Yes?" Equinox stopped to look at him.

Sulfur turned back to look at her, he seemed embarassed to ask his question, "Are Mira and I going to be happy together?" he asked.

Like most dragons, Sulfur didn't understand the complexity of being a seer, and the immense possibilities they were shown, many futures showed him and Mirage as a happy couple, but there was even one where they broke up the very next morning, but instead of trying to explain things to him, Equinox just put on a smile, and said, "Sure."