Chapter 20

It was mere hours before all the dragons were set to embark towards their homes when Regolith called a meeting in the library.

        "Why are we here?" Ember asked.

        "Because we never figured out your prophecy!" Regolith explained, annoyed that she wasn't more seerious about her power.

       "Bruh, we already did." said Constellationtracer, "When the war's been won for twenty years, the dragonets will come. When the land has few dragons to fear, the dragonets will come. Of three queens who blister and blaze and burn, two shall die and one shall learn."

      "But, what does it mean?" Regolith exclaimed.

       "Well, uh," Connie scratched his chin, "The SandWing War of Succession ended twenty years ago, and, er... we.... came."

       "Exactly." He sighed, "But, what is the second part?"

      "I dunno." the NightWing shrugged.

       "Well, I donno, all thanks to a little thing called reeeee-searrrrrch." he said the last word in a sing-song voice as he paraded across the room waving a scroll.

    "Now," Regolith opened the scroll on a round, wooden table as his friends all gathered around, "This is an old royal SandWing family tree that I bought in the town we stopped at."

    He began to bring his silver claw down from Queen Oasis and King Char down through their dragonets.

       "Look," he said, "here it says that Blister, Burn and Blaze acctaully all had dragonets, Blister's son is Erg, Fox's father, and he's dead so... there's that part of the prophecy, and Burn had a daughter, who I looked up, and she had no interest in being queen, so she just became a powerful general on her mother's side of the war."

      "Who?" Calathea asked, sticking her head through the crowd to get a better look at the scroll.

      Regolith turned his black-tipped MudWinglike face to look at her, "Sirocco."

       "No way." Cardinal gasped.

        "And, well," Regolith continued, making Yucca uncumfortable, "she's definitely dead, so now comes the tricky part. Blaze did have a daughter who ran away, because she didn't even support her own mother for queen, but she was never seen or heard of again by anyone in the SandWing kingdom."

      "Let me see that!" Taklaman thrust forward to pick up the portion of the scroll with Blaze's daughter's name on it.

    "Woah, Taklaman!" Citrus gasped, narrowly dodging his tail barb.

      "Do you know something about this?" Regolith asked, scooting away from the older dragon.

       "Yes," he said, "I've...I've known for awhile about this."

      "What is it, Taklaman?" Gobi asked.

       "We're descended from Blaze," he explained, "I-I'm sorry I didn't tell you."

      "How did you even find out?" His brother asked.

       "Reeeee-searrrrrch." He said, almost mocking Regolith.

    Gobi turned to him, "So, what does that mean for us?"

       Regolith shrugged, "Did either of you learn anything?"

      Constellationtracer caught the look in Gobi's coal black eyes as he glanced at Leopard and groaned, "Is learning that you should have a girlfriend really all that part of my prophecy about?"

      "I did learn the thing about Crimson" Taklaman shrugged, "and the rest of my half-siblings."

        "It could have lots of meanings, Connie," Regolith said, "and that prophecy was really cryptic, it might not even have been about Gobi and Taklaman, but that's just the story we'll be going with for now."