Chapter 14

It was awhile before everyone was ready to leave, they had spent the night in the cave before beginning their leave late the next morning. 

     Most dragons were already put of the cave when Gobi heard a noise that sounded like stone splitting.

      "What was that?" Leopard said from beside him, she had heard it too.

       The dragons came to a tense stop.

      Silence followed for but a few seconds until a scream echoed through the cave as Zirconia dove from above, brandishing a broken stacltite, it's sharpened tip aimed straight toward Gobi's neck.

      He didn't know how to react, for a moment he thought this is how he was going to die.

      Suddenly there was a flash of scarlet before Gobi's eyes, and Leopard took off roaring to fight Zirconia in the air.

       Gobi slowly opened his eyes, his heart was pounding. His jaw dropped when he saw the form of Crimson take his final breath at his talons, stacltite embedded in his throat.

       He took the death blow for me! he realized, But, why?

     Gobi looked around, everyone was in a state of shock, but he was surprised to find that Gila was the only one crying.

      "Oh my moons," she whispered, "that was so sweet."

         "What?" her sister asked.

         "I heard his last thought." Gila explained, "He felt like he was making it up to Saguaro by saving her son!"

     Gobi took a step back, it was true that the dead SkyWing's forest green eyes held not pain or fear, but such an uncanny emotion of serenity that you didn't need to be a mind reader, like Gila, to know that he was happy to give his life for his former lover.

     Gobi looked up, suddenly drawn to the battle between his girlfriend and his enemy. It seemed as if Leopard was besting Zirconia on the sheer force of anger alone.

      He was about to fly to her aid, when Leopard let out a blast made up of a mixture of frostbreath and RainWing poison that was such a perfect mixture that it melted Zirc's battle armour and false tail without injuring her.

      Gobi smiled, she had finally figured out a good way to use her weak frostbreath and RainWing fangs.

     Zirconia, knowing she was now vulnerable, flew from the mouth of the cave as fast as she could and into the endless celeste blue sky above.