19

Taehyung placed his foot on the first step of the staircase leading up to the front door of his childhood home. His heart began to race slightly, pangs of anxiety and excitement running through him. Out of the corner of his vision, the strawberry haired boy saw the lush plants and flowers that his father must have kept maintained while the boy was gone. They truly were beautiful, golden marigolds and purple lilacs contrasting to the white daisies and yellow tulips.

The boy took his foot off the staircase and shuffled to the garden. Crouching down beside the patch of tulips, Taehyung giggled softly as he touched the yellow petals of one of the flowers. He had always loved flowers, in a way, he felt a connection to them. It was strange, but Taehyung didn't care, the colors and shapes made him calm down. They especially helped him after the occasional nightmare, the green plants in his room would bring tranquility to his panicked heart during the dark hours of the night.

The gentle breeze cause a small butterfly to land on his finger, its pale yellow wings almost blending in with the similarly colored flowers. Laughter erupted from Taehyung's mouth as the butterfly flew from his finger to his nose, tickling his face, and then flew away towards the fence of his backyard.

Taehyung decided to follow it.

- -

"Jiminie, sometimes I want to fly away like a butterfly." A teenage Taehyung said as he picked at the dandelions scattered around him. His friend, who was laying down, looked up at him in confusion, not understanding what he meant.

Taehyung sighed as he laid his head down on Jimin's stomach, closing his eyes as he reached for his friend's hand. Tan fingers intertwined with pale ones as the younger loosely held it. The older boy smiled at the action, and squeezed Taehyung's hand reassuringly.

Using his other hand, Jimin placed a white daisy in Taehyung's hair while asking, "What do you mean?"

"I want to be free with no cares in the world. To float and to fly with ease as the wind carries me." The younger smiled at the thought, and his eyes fluttered open as he shot up suddenly. The daisy in his hair nearly fell out as he did so, and Taehyung's eyes beamed with exhilaration as he stared down at his friend.

Jimin sat up too, his back covered in flower petals and grass. He was silent for a moment, glancing at their intertwined hands and then at Taehyung. His younger friend's wrist was slightly purple, a bruise forming on the beautiful tan skin. It was recent. Jimin swore he would make Taehyung's father pay for his actions.

Jimin let out a small sigh, "But all butterflies fly away at some time, right? If you became one, then you would leave me."

"Not the ones with broken wings, Jiminie."

Taehyung replied with a faint smile as he looked up at the sky, his eyes intensely gazing into the light clouds. The older boy watched with wide eyes as a single tear rolled down his friend's cheek, causing the younger to messily wipe his eyes. The sudden movement finally caused the flower to finally fall out of his hair, landing in his lap.

Jimin shifted closer to his friend, using his free hand to pull Taehyung to him. The sudden embrace filled the younger with a warmth he wasn't accustomed to, he felt safe.

"I like it when you hug me, let's stay like the for while?" Taehyung mumbles softly, his breath hitting Jimin's neck, sending shivers down the other's spine. The older boy smiled, holding the younger's hand tighter.