Twenty Five: Flashbacks; Nemesis-kun

It was Sunday as my siblings and I were upstairs in our room. We all shared a room, but Momma says when we're old enough, we'll get our own rooms. "I don't remember Sundays being so boring." Yan-kun complained.

"Aren't you always bored?" Ayano asked him as she sat behind me, brushing my hair. "Let's play tag!" He said. "Tag?" Ayano repeated. "Yeah! Tag, you're it!" Yan-kun said as he tagged me. "I don't wanna play tag." I said, emotionlessly. "You guys are so lame!" He complained.

Ayano finished brushing my hair, then put a barret in it. "Mom says, we're not supposed to run in the house. One of us could get hurt." I reminded him. "We won't get hurt! We're super careful! Well... except for Amaya. She's pretty clumsy."Yan-kun stated.

Ayano rolled her eyes. "She's not clumsy." She defended. "I wanna go outside and play ball." I said. "I'll play with you." Ayano said, and we went downstairs. "I wanna play, too!" Yan-kun called. I think Yan-kun only agreed to play ball with us is because he's bored and he wants something to do.

I don't mind though. I love my brother, and I love spending time with him.

After we got a ball from the garage, we went outisde to the front yard. My siblings and I passed the ball to each other while we talked about Momma's strange behavior. "She seems happier than usual." Yan-kun said as he threw the ball over to Ayano.

"I'll say. She doesn't even want us to go down to the basement. Any guesses to why not?" She asked, throwing the ball over to me. "I don't have a clue." I said, catching the ball. I threw it over to Yan-kun and he passed it over to Ayano.

She passed it back over to him, then passed it over to me. But he threw it too high and it went over my head. "I got it!" I called, heading over to the ball as it rolled into the street. I bent down and picked it up. "Amaya, look out!" Yan-kun and Ayano called.

I turned my head when I heard a truck honk and saw that it was coming right at me. My eyes widened as I stood there in fear and shock.

CRASH!

"Amaya!"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

'Ow... My head hurts...' I thought. I slowly opened my eyes to find a white light in front of me. I blinked a coupel times and my sister's face appeared in front of me. "Look! She's waking up!" She said. "Amaya, my baby! Are you okay?" Momma asked.

"Mommy..." I whispered. "It's a miracle she survived the crash." A man in a white coat said. "Crash? Where am I? What happened to me?" I asked. "You're in the hospital, sweetie." Momma said. "You got hit by a truck. Don't you remember?" Yan-kun asked.

"A truck?" I repeated. When did I...? The past flashed before my eyes as I remembered a truck honking at me before everything went white. "You've suffered a neck sprain, a broken arm, and a couple of cracked ribs." The doctor explained.

"But she'll be okay, right?" Ayano asked. "Of course she will, sweetie." Momma assured her. "We'd like to keep her in the hospital to run some test and help get her back to health, if that's okay with you." The doctor asked Momma.

"Yes, that's fine. Anything to get my baby better." Momma said. "We thank you for your cooperation, Miss." He said. Momma turned to me and hugged me gently. "I'll come visit you everyday, honey. I promise." She said.

"Get better soon, Sis." Yan-kun said. "We'll come visit you." Ayano promised. After they said their goodbyes, I was left alone in the room with the doctor. He told me how he was going to get my back to health.

After explaining what was going to be going on, he gave me a small cup filled with orange liquid inside. "What is this?" I asked. "It's medicine, sweetie. It will help you get better faster." The doctor explained. He tilted the cup to my lips and I drank the liquid down.

"Don't worry, sweetie. We'll take care of you." The doctor said. Ten minutes later, I fell asleep.

The next two months, Momma, Yan-kun, and Ayano came to visit me every day to see how I was doing while the doctors did everything they can to get me back to health. I was feeling a lot better and the hospital let me walk around for a bit because I was tired of siting in bed all day.

I walked past doctors and nurses, making my way down the hallway. "You don't look so well." I turned my head, spotting a boy about my age standing behind me. I honestly thought I was the only kid here. "Who are you?" I asked.

"I'm not allowed to give out my name to a stranger." He said. "I don't think you're supposed to be talking to strangers either." I stated. "Fair point. But I haven't seen another kid my age for a while." He said, walking over to me.

"How long have you been here?" I asked. "A few days. What are you doing here?" The boy asked. "I got hit my truck." I said. "Really? Wow. It's amazing you're even alive. You should be dead after getting hit by something that big." He commented.

"The doctors said, it was a miracle I survived. So, what are you in here for? Are you sick?"

"Maybe. The doctors say, I'm sick, but I don't feel sick."

"I'm sorry to hear that."

"What's your name, by the way?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?"

"Because you're a stranger."

"Good girl. You're pretty smart for someone who's in bad shape."

I stared at him with an emotionless gaze as he stared back, both of us not saying a word. "I bet if I could, I could eliminate you." The boy said as he stood next to me. "You could try, but you'd fail." I said, emotionlessly.

"What did you say?" I glanced at him as he grabbed the back of my hair and aimed the tip of a small knife to my neck. "I won't fail. I will defeat you. Let's think of it like a game, and if I win, I kill you." He answered. I looked at him as he stared at me.

"Okay. I'll play your game. But you won't win. I will. I always win in games." I said, emotionlessly. "Not in this game you won't. You'll never win." He said. "We'll see." I replied, and he let go of my hair. I walked away, heading back to my room.

"I look forward to playing our game." I heard the boy said, quietly. "Me, too." I mumbled in agreement.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I opened my eyes, staring at my ceiling. "Hey, Sis," I glanced to the side, spotting Yan-kun by my side. "You feeling any better?" He asked. "Yeah... I think so." I said. Yan-kun took the ice pack off my forehead and replaced it with his hand.

"Looks like your fever's gone down. That's a relief." He said. "How long have I been home?" I asked. "Two days. I think you should be able to get back to school on Monday if you're feeling up to it." Yan-kun said. "I think I'll be okay by then." I said.

"Cool. I'm gonna get you some lunch. Peanut butter and jelly okay?" He asked. I gave a nod and he left the room to go fix the sandwich. I looked back at my ceiling, staring blankly at it. "I remember you now... Nemesis-kun."