chapter two
the first day
mia pov

trigger warnings: mentions of suicide

I feel like every book that I've ever read that features a character in high school, starts with the character complaining about how much they hate high school. I'm not exactly a huge fan of school, but I get through, and work hard at what I do. However, I always think that high school used to be more enjoyable in my early years, and I'm not are why. Maybe because that's when everything about high school was exciting and new, or maybe it was because I was way more involved back then.

When I was younger, my dad put me in dance classes (honestly, because he was clueless on what a parent should put their child in, since he didn't know too much about sports or what girls participated in, so he put me in the most basic option). I took ballet and tap, and when I got older I started jazz. I guess I was pretty good, because they offered to put me in the performing company, but I decided not to, for some reason. I continued classes, and I did show choir during freshman year, and part of sophomore year. However, halfway through sophomore year, I started to think. I didn't think that I should continue these activities, but I'm not exactly sure. I think it was because I wasn't going to pursue a career in performing, and I wanted to get "realistic". I kind of regret doing it, though, because I was actually really passionate about dance. However, now that I think about it, there are limited careers in dance, and I don't know if my dad would appreciate some of them (if you know what I mean).

Anyways, I pull up to school, and I immediately see random people that I've known all my life. Honestly, in my high school, there isn't much of a social ladder. Sure, some people are more well known/liked than others, but there aren't too many cliques. Freshman year, there were all of the stereotypical cliques. I mostly hung out with my dance friends and choir friends. I don't think I was the daring one to break the status quo, though. The dancers and show choir kids usually hang out together, since a lot of the show choir girls dance and vice versa.

I instantly see my two friends, Susan and Chris, standing by Susan's car, since Susan gives Chris a ride every day. Susan and Chris are super close friends, and a lot of people used to think they were dating, but they're not. Chris has had some problems with his family in the past, because he came out as bisexual a couple of years go. His parents were kind of reluctant, but they accepted him in time. His brother, however, is honestly really mean about it. I don't know if his brother has "problems" or what, but he's kind of abusive when it comes to Chris' sexuality. When Chris got his driver's license, his parents said that he had to drive his brother to school, since Chris' brother is a sophomore this year. Chris, obviously didn't want to drive his brother, so Susan decided to save the day and drive Chris to school. Plus, Chris does't have his own car (he uses his mom's car, since she's a stay-at-home mom), so it's not a total waste.

Though I only met Chris in eighth grade, I've known Susan since I was little, since her aunt and my dad were "acquaintances" in high school. Her aunt is the governor of our state, and her family is pretty close with her aunt. They go to a lot of big events to support her. Susan's aunt is trying to get ready to go to National Government, so she'll be busy promoting her aunt for that, since her aunt wants to be President (I'll be old enough to vote when she does, so I'm very happy about that #BeckForPres) Not to mention, Susan does a lot of community service and has to keep her grades up. Nonetheless, Susan is really good in show choir (she's actually the one who convinced me to try out), and she's my best friend and I love her to death.

I quickly parked my car, and got out to meet my friends. Susan had a super cute rose-colored top on, paired with black skinny jeans. Although I never get super dolled up for school, Susan is literally the queen of fashion. She's the reason I don't hate my closet. Chris was also wearing a t-shirt with a witty comment on it, as he always did. Though my father never knew his parents when he was younger, he said that Chris reminds him of one of his old friends.