xix

chapter nineteen
so big/so small
mia pov

trigger warnings: mention of missing child

     I drove as fast as I could to my grandma's house. I wanted answer asap, but it didn't help that I almost got pulled over for almost speeding. Like I said before, her house wasn't too far away from my house.  I still wanted to get there as quick as possible, so I could get answers. This was the biggest breakthrough I've discovered in all seventeen years of my life, and I needed to know what was up. I assumed that the baby was me, and the woman in the hospital bed was my mom, and my dad was (obviously) my dad. Was this my actual family or was this my dad supporting someone... or did I have a sister that I didn't know about...

     I need answers...

     When I got to Grandma's doorstep, I rang the doorbell. The two minutes that Grandma took to get to the door felt like two days.

     "Hi, Mia..." She said, happily. Grandma always looked so happy to see me, and I never knew if that made me feel happy or sad.

     "Hey, Grandma..." I said. Time to get down to it, Um, I kind of have something important to talk to you about..." my heart was beating out of my chest.

     "Yeah... Hey, how about you come in, and we can talk, okay?" Grandma replied. I nodded, and she led me in, and sat me down on her grey couch, "What do you need to talk about?"

     Here goes nothing...

     I held up the picture, "I found this picture, today. I accidentally slammed my door, and a picture fell. I picked the framed picture up, and this fell out of the frame. Do you happen to know anything about this picture?" I asked. Grandma was shocked. She just kind of looked at the picture. She gently took the picture from my hand, and just kind of looked at it, "Is this what I think it is?" I asked.

     Grandma quietly looked at the picture for a second. She finally spoke up, after a second, "Well, what do you think it is?"

     "I think it's like... The day I was born, or something..." I pointed to the woman in the hospital, and then the baby, "That's my mom, and that's me, right?"

     "I think this might be a good conversation for you and your dad. I mean, I don't want to tell you anything that he doesn't want you to know," Grandma told me.

     "Yeah, but can you at least give me some information on this?" I asked, "I'm really sorry, Grandma, but this is super important to me, and I just really want to know..."

     "It's okay, I get it. I just... I don't want to give out more information than I should..." Grandma said.

      "Was it the day I was born, though?" I asked.

     "It was pretty close... I was in the room when this picture was taken..."

     "So was it like, the day after or something?"

     "It was at least a few hours..."

      "So is the baby me?"

     "I'm sure if you had a sibling, you would know. Your father doesn't want to keep too many secrets from you..."

     "So I guess the woman in the hospital bed it my mother, right?" I asked.

     "I really think this is a good conversation for you and your father..." Grandma told me. I didn't want to pry at her too much. Grandma never got angry or anything, but I didn't want her to be upset or uncomfortable.