Chapter 13

My phone was going crazy when I woke up the next morning. Gerard had texted me several times, and just when I thought he'd given up, I heard him and Mikey on the steps, arguing with each other. About me.

“I have to talk to him, Mikes.”

“Gee, he's been through a lot of crap. I don't know what happened last night, and personally I don't ever want to see that look on my best friend's face ever again.”

“But I didn't do anything. We pulled up to the apartment and Brendon was there. I don't know why he decided he had to talk to me at that moment, but I didn't do anything with him, other than getting him the phone number for a councilor that can help him.”

“Tell me one thing, Gee. Do you love him?”

“I… yes, I love Frank. I know I shouldn't because he's a student, but I love him just the same. He… he makes my heart happy, Mikes.”

“Then don't you dare hurt him. You might be my brother, but I will personally kick your ass if you hurt him.”

“And I'd deserve it.” I heard him sigh before he continued. “I know that he's worried because Brendon keeps popping up, but I don't want anyone else. Just my Frankie.”

I started to cry when I heard him say that, and I just sat there when he finally knocked on the door. I couldn't speak, but he cracked the door open a bit. I hated crying in front of him, but I knew he'd never judge me or tease me for it. He came in silently, sat down and pulled me onto his lap, my head on his chest.

“You know, when I signed up for teaching at my old high school, I never expected to find the right person for me in one of my students. But I ran into you, literally, and my life will never be the same.”

I giggled and sniffled as I snuggled into his arms. “I remember you before you went off to school, and I know you won't believe it, but I thought you were kinda cute back then.”

“I was a greasy haired chubby teenager that didn't think I'd ever find anyone.”

“I saw the light behind your eyes, that fire for something better for himself.” I looked up at him, kissing his nose. He chuckled softly, tightening his arms around me.

“I think that's part of why I love you so much, baby. I see that same light in you.”

After that night, the days flew by. School was going better, and I was a week away from turning 18. I received a couple of acceptance letters. One was from the local community college, which really wasn't a bad school, but it was here. The other was the New York Academy of Art. I was so excited to see that one, I didn't call Gerard, I went straight to his apartment. Literally ran.

If I hadn't been so excited…

“Frank.” I stopped and looked around, noticing Brendon and his buddies, waiting for me.

“Oh, um, hi…” I started to move again, but he stopped me.

“I have a question for you, Frank.” I went pale when he grabbed my arm.

“What do you want to know?”

“What's it like? You know, kissing him? Kissing Mr. Way.”