Chapter 14

My whole body just froze at Brendon's words. “Wh-what are you talking about?” was all I could get out of my panicked brain.

“Oh, come on, Frank. You know what I'm talking about. In fact, Ryan has a picture on his phone. You and Mr. Way look like you're really into it, leaning against his car in the parking lot of a restaurant…”

“I... I don't know what you're talking about.” I didn't know what to say. I just knew I had to protect Gerard. I couldn't let him lose his job because of me.

“Don't fucking lie to me, I know you’re dating him. Bet the school board would love to know about it…”

“What do you want, Brendon? Just don't make him lose his job.” He chuckled and leaned in towards me. When he spoke, his voice was a soft growl.

“I want to know what it's like…” He kissed me. I was so surprised that I didn't move, didn't even blink. He pulled away and laughed, walking over to where Ryan was standing, holding up his phone and taking pictures.

“Dude, You have to look at this one.” Ryan held the phone out to Brendon, who began giggling hysterically.

“The look on his face! Both of your faces are priceless!” He showed me the photo and my heart sank. Gerard had seen. And I knew from the look on his face that he'd recognized me.

“Fuck… I… I gotta go…” I turned and ran for the house, no longer caring about the college acceptance letter. I'd hurt Gerard. I hadn't even made it inside before I was overwhelmed, dropping to my knees on the front yard and throwing up, tears streaming. He had thought I'd wanted the kiss, I was sure of it.

Mikey found me a little bit later, rushing over to where I was curled up on my side, sobbing. “Frankie? Frankie, talk to me. What happened?” He got me into a semi-sitting position, hugging me. “Frank, talk to me. Please? You're my best friend, and I don't like seeing you hurting like this.”

“I… I went to show Gee m-my acceptance l-letter... Brendon was there and he stopped me. He kissed me, Mikey. I didn't want it, and Gee saw it, and I know he’s hurt because I saw the picture Ryan took.”

“Wait, what?” I took a deep breath, trying to get my thoughts straight before I told him the whole thing, what was said, and the look on his brother's face in the picture. “Frankie, you were set up. Just explain it to him like you did to me. He's a pretty forgiving guy when he knows what really happened.”

“I don't know how to face him… I can't…” I looked down at my hands, then slowly rose to my feet. “I'm just going to go… you guys don't need to deal with a fuck up in your house.”

I went down to the bedroom that I had been calling mine for the last couple of months, quickly packing up my few belongings. Mikey had followed me, trying to talk me out of it as I did.

“Frank, you aren't a fuck up, and come on, it's going to be alright. Just stay here and we'll figure out how to fix it.”

“I CAN'T!” I started to cry again, then softly spoke again. “I… I I'm sorry...I can't. I love your brother too much for me to screw up his dream job. I'm just trying to not give Brendon and Ryan a reason to take his picture of Gee and I to the school board.”

We argued a little longer, but I walked to my old house, my meager belongings in tow. I'd left Gerard's key on his old dresser before I left, not wanting to bring temptation with me.

That night was quiet, my phone blowing up, the only real noise in the house. I didn't look, just turned it to silent and laid down.

The next morning was Saturday, so I stayed in bed a little bit later than I normally would, too worn out from staring up at the ceiling all night to want to move. I heard someone pound on the door, heard Gerard calling my name, but I didn't have the guts to face him. I just laid there and cried myself to sleep.

“Frankie? Frankie, wake up. I need to talk to you.” I was sure I was dreaming. Looking over at the clock, I saw that it was almost two in the afternoon. I looked back over to the bedroom door, sure that he'd disappear like smoke rings in the breeze, but he didn't. He was still there.

“Gerard? How'd you get in?”

“Mikey showed me where you hid your spare key in case your mom locked you out.”

“Okay… so why are you here? If you're going to tell me that you don't want to be with me anymore, I understand.”

“Would you just shut up and listen?” I could tell he was tired and upset, so I nodded, staying quiet. “I know that what I thought I saw, and I know that you didn't want him to kiss you. Mikey told me what happened.” I looked down, nodding again.

“He threatened to go to the school board…”

“And you thought you were going to keep me safe by running away and not telling me what happened?”

“You didn't see the look on your face… they took a picture of Brendon kissing me and you were looking at us in shock. I didn't think I could see that look in your eyes again.”

“Damn it, Frankie, I love you. I could give a flying fuck if they go to the board.”